• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No boot (no display) after BIOS change / battery replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oneman

New to the forum, TIA for any assistance.

Ok, friends PC (asus p5e-vm hdmi mobo, Q9450 cpu) was brought to me as it wouldn't boot to windows. (Was previously working fine & according to them they had done nothing along the lines of BIOS updates or tweaking (they wouldn't know how anyway), no power interrupts or surges).

So upon booting it up:
POST showed "Unknown CPU is detected, Updating BIOS is required to unleash its full power! Press F1 to resume, F2 to load defaults"
F1'd to BIOS, saw date and time at 2002, changed battery, rebooted, PC restarted to blank screen.

Have now gone through removing RAM, CD, HDD, GFX Card (no display on boot with onboard GPU) updated bios to 0709 from 0505, everything I have done ends in the same way, once BIOS date/time is set and saved to exit it returns only a blank screen.

Removal of battery and reset of CMOS return same thing, and seems to be now the only way to even get the initial message is to reset CMOS and start up again. But once bios date is changed the pc reboots to blank screen.
PC refuses to boot past BIOS changes...

I've reset/replaced/restarted/googled ad nauseum and am now perplexed to the point of creating an account to hound you all instead :)

I've been at this for a couple of days with the same exasperating results....any ideas?
(I've been verbose in my explanation of how many times/ways I've tried solving this so please feel free to question any step).

Again, TIA.

Old cpu old motherboard. Entirely feasible one of them is broken. Either could cause your issues.

Did you try F2? Test the CPU in another machine? Another CPU in that machine? etc?

Its either a bad CPU or bad mobo would be my guess.

That mobo is awfully weak for the quad too with only having 4 power phases and they are also not heatsinked.

Thanks Bob, thinking it's had it's day too, but have seen varying responses regarding settings on vcore etc, and as everything is set to auto I hoped there may be a simple fix out there.
I just hate having to tell people "it's worse than that it's dead, Jim" when they are on a tight budget.
Unfortunately it was only bought just over a year ago from a local shop that was around for a couple of months then disappeared :/
(She never mentioned she was looking for one at the time otherwise I would have stepped in and halted the buy)

F2 has lead to a windows logo then a blank screen, but not tried it since the first couple of times as I couldn't get the date/time to stick, as each "Save and exit" leads to a blank screen, so continuing to try and boot windows on 2002 date would only lead to further issues

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are getting to windows and a blank screen, it may be something else... which is good news. Not setting the date could cause issues, but that isn't your biggest one. The goal is to get it to boot in the first place and not setting the date will not prevent booting to windows...

Problem has now changed somewhat.
Put everything back in/on - HDD Ram etc, and can still only get to POST screen after removing battery and resetting CMOS, then after pressing F2 it results in a disk error.
(I had already ran checkdisk via a caddy which resulted in no errors found, but I could not access the drive before or after - I was hoping to backup any important pics etc).

Along the lines of "Disk error, hit crtl alt del". Whilst in the caddy it would respond with "not accessible", yet disk management allowed checkdisk to run successfully on it.
However, I have called it a day since speaking with the PC's owner - she said the shop she bought it from has possibly re-opened/has another shop in a nearby town and she's taking it to them tomorrow.
Thank you for taking the time to respond, I am unsure of the etiquette involved in closing a thread so I hope you can also sort that please Earthdog?
Much appreciated, and hope to continue using these forums for information as I had done before registering.
Peace out.

Back