• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Case Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anaxagoras1986

I had my system in a case running with 6 fans in it (one PCI slot cooler, p/s fan, 2 rear exhaust fans, one front fan, and one big 90mm side fan) and my average temps were around 125 F on full load with the stock HSF. Now, I toolk my mobo and everything else out to clean all of the dust out and wanted to see what the temps would be with out the case. I hooked up all of the ribbon cables, and power lines and now my temps are down to 107 F full load! What a difference! Anyone else do anything like this?

Omega Destroyer

Well since you had so many fans I doubt that inadequate air was your problem. I think what made the difference is the fact that you cleaned everything. Dust collecting on heatsinks has a major impact on cooling performance, because the heat isn't transferred to the air as well. Once all the dust is gone, you'll notice a pretty big temp drop depending on the amount of dust that was originally present.
Also it could be that you have your case sitting in a insulated box (like a computer desk or something), and even though the air is blowing out of your case, it get trapped just outside the case because it has no where else to move to freely.

Anyway I recommend that people clean out their heatsinks at least once a month (depending on use). A vacuum cleaner will do most of the time.

OP
A

Anaxagoras1986

I always cleaned my HSF every couple of weeks though so I dont think it was all of that. My comp is kinda in an enclosure but it has enough moving air around it to get rid of the hot ambient air that would be surrounding it.
If you can imagine the crappiest designed and built case, then that is mine. That may be the prob. Also, I didnt have the cables inside the case organized all the well either.
I am going to be setting up my water cooler soon so that should helkp a bit.