• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no display monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prim3

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I couldnt find anything regarding support.

Monitor turns on and works but doesnt display picture. Was working fine last night and today had a power outage. After the outage, it stopped working. Monitor works FINE with my laptop (mbp displayport) and the cable is fine as well. So the problem is most likely the mobo or the graphics card..

Computer boots on and shuts off after 5 seconds and boots again by itself... this only happens once. after this, it runs fine and continues to run.

I unplugged everything, holded the power button for 30s-1m and still nothing. took the cmos battery out and waited 5 minutes and still nothing. like I said, monitor and cable work fine with my macbook pro so the problem is in the system. any ideas? could it have been damaged or fried from the power outage? please advise. specs below. thanks.

Specs:
i7-2600k
corsair vengeance 8gb
p8z68 v-pro mobo
tx750w psu
radeon hd6870

Sounds like the power outage damaged either the motherboard, the RAM, the CPU or the PSU. The only way to troubleshoot this is to start swapping out parts. About the only thing you can try short of that is to remove the memory sticks one at a time. In my experience, the RAM is the most sensitive component and most likely to be damaged by some event as you describe. I would also try taking the video card out and try using the onboard video.

Are you using a surge protector? If not, you should be. Get one of at least 1000 joules. An uninterruptable power supply would provide even better protection.

I would try resetting the CMOS just for grins. Its possible that the power outage might have lost/reset/plain old messed up the settings for the BIOS. Not likely but possible. At the very least it shouldnt do any harm to reset the CMOS. Saves a couple bucks and some time on swapping parts out. But if that doesnt work.... then you gotta start swapping parts to find the problem

I would try resetting the CMOS just for grins. Its possible that the power outage might have lost/reset/plain old messed up the settings for the BIOS. Not likely but possible. At the very least it shouldnt do any harm to reset the CMOS. Saves a couple bucks and some time on swapping parts out. But if that doesnt work.... then you gotta start swapping parts to find the problem

This.

Good thought, knoober.

Prim3, there is a jumper block on the motherboard (usually 3 pins and usually near the battery) that is for this purpose. Make sure you disconnect the power from the wall to the PSU before changing the jumper and then make sure you put the jumper back to default position before restoring power to the board. Takes about 39 sec. to clear once you move the jumper. "Clr CMOS" is how it's usually marked on the board.

Id start with the freebies too before you go throwing hardware at it... :)

If that doesn't work, try using the onboard GPU from the CPU and motherboard. If that doesn't produce an image, I would look at the swapping out the GPU and other parts.

Last edited:
Good news. So I fixed it. A couple months ago, I bought an extra stick of RAM from goodwill (4gb). That was the problem. I guess the RAM couldn't handle the power surge and gave out.

Also, it was stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen but I managed to get past it by restarting my comp over and over and got back to stock (was OC'd at 4.4 Ghz with decent temps).

Thanks guys!

Back