• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No-go Pc!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

Ok, short and to the point.

New rig (sig), wont start up. Only sign of working is that the little led on the mobo lights up. Nothing else.

Tried stripping rig to just essentials, no luck. Tried taking it out of the case. No luck. Reseated everything. No luck.

Video card works I know for sure. Everything is new, and I assume works, but hey- something is going wrong.

Heatsink is COLD, fans, hdd's, everything remains silent and motionless.

Checked where power buttons plug into the mobo and still nothing. Im perplexed! Already did troubleshooting in my head.

BTW- anyone know of any way to turn on a pc without using case power button. It might be a lose sodder or something on the case button.

Monaco

yah, you can just bridge the two contact points for the Power button on the 'board with something conductive. A penny, screwdriver, almost anything metal.

As for the dead system, I really don't know. Are you sure the board is not shorting out on the case?

Maximouse

When I first got my A7V333, I had the same problem.

Green Light came on, I would hit the switch and the fans would twitch....then, nothing.

I took another psu out of the 2nd rig and switched them, It powered up. Turned it off and put the original back..again it powered up.

Go Figure:(

Try another psu.

Al

One more thing. The only diff between the two psu's was that the second one did not have the extra plugs for the intel board.
( I dont know if that had anything to do with it)

Last edited:

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Make sure the CMOS jumper isn't set to the CLEAR position. I've had a motherboard or two shipped to me with the jumper in the wrong spot.

OP
D

diggingforgold

:confused:

Maximouse said:
When I first got my A7V333, I had the same problem.

Green Light came on, I would hit the switch and the fans would twitch....then, nothing.

I took another psu out of the 2nd rig and switched them, It powered up. Turned it off and put the original back..again it powered up.

Go Figure:(

Try another psu.

Al

One more thing. The only diff between the two psu's was that the second one did not have the extra plugs for the intel board.
( I dont know if that had anything to do with it)

Mine has the extra plugs. And I'm leaning toward the possibility that its the PSU. But why would it work all of a sudden after you tried a second one?

I'm going to try the trick.

Anyway, I used my ears this time- this is what happens, in steps:

1) Plug in psu - light on mobo lights up and PSU starts a very low volume electrical buzz noise. No fans are running, nothing happens.

2) Push case power button - buzzing immediatly stops, but light on mobo remains on,

It's gotta be the PSU. But they aren't really the most inexpensive component of a computer where I live. A good PSU will set me back about $70, (while the one I bought online was a cheapo 400W, cost me about $17 with my case).

Is this an incompatibility issue or something? For some reason, I'm thinking that if I were to do what you did, it would solve my problem. I will bug my brother to let me borrow his PSU. Maybe I will give him the card reader that came with my mobo, if he lets me borrow his PSU (its white, and my case is black, ruins the whole design).

As far as the cmos jumper, its been cleared and uncleared many times. When I got it it was in the standard position, and is right now.

nightowl

Captain Slug said:
Make sure the CMOS jumper isn't set to the CLEAR position. I've had a motherboard or two shipped to me with the jumper in the wrong spot.

Check that. The other day i put another pc together and i had left the CMOS jumper in wrong position. Couldnt get any life out of it for 2 days no matter what i tried until i looked at my other rigs mobo and saw the jumper was in wrong position :rolleyes:

Ugmore Baggage

Unplug everything except the mobo, CPU fan, and power switch. I mean literally everything including all case fans, other front panel connectors, even remove the video card. Be sure the cpu fan is plugged in.

Reseat the ATX connector, double-check the placement of the power connector.

preliminary diagnosis: your power switch isn't telling the mobo to start the psu.
alternate: a short exists that prevents the psu from starting.

OP
D

diggingforgold

Will do. I will post once I push the power button and it does nothing. If it works then i will find the problem, then will post the problem. Thanks...

OP
D

diggingforgold

No luck. It does the same exact thing even bare to nothing. Tried taking the motherboard out of the case, and it does the same thing, so I know that it's not a short.

Im going to blow some more money and buy a new PS and see if it works. If it doesn't I will buy a new case.

The problem either exists in:

1) the power supply
2) the power button (how the mechanics of the button actually works, I dont know)
3) the motherboard or cpu is defective.

Maximouse

diggingforgold said:
:confused:

Mine has the extra plugs. And I'm leaning toward the possibility that its the PSU. But why would it work all of a sudden after you tried a second one?

I'm going to try the trick.

That psu prob is one of the mysterys of computing I dont think I'll ever figure out:)

All a switch is is a monentary contact, It shorts the jumper on the MB for a sec which is in effect a signal to turn on/off. If you cant start it by shorting the jumper manually either then the switch is ok. (going by what you described). You wont need a new case.

See what happens if you borrow your brothers psu and hook it up.

Good Luck.
Al

Jkasmann

Registered
Ive had similar problems before with a cheap-o PSU I had before, bought a new enermax and it works great, so give a new PS a try!

OP
D

diggingforgold

So i guess the lesson is never go with cheap power supplies. Well... I could go to Best Buy and get an antec 350W for about $65. Thats the highest the offer there.

But first I will try the swapping thing once my brother leaves (im gonna... err.. borrow his PSU without his permission... AKA STEALING!)

I payed money for this PSU. I wonder if they will accept returns?

Maximouse

diggingforgold said:
So i guess the lesson is never go with cheap power supplies. Well... I could go to Best Buy and get an antec 350W for about $65. Thats the highest the offer there.

But first I will try the swapping thing once my brother leaves (im gonna... err.. borrow his PSU without his permission... AKA STEALING!)

I payed money for this PSU. I wonder if they will accept returns?

How long have you had it? There may be a warranty.

Also, here is something you could try. There is a possibility that the MB is grounding out on one of the standoffs, try removing it from the case, set it on some cardboard and test running it that way.

OP
D

diggingforgold

Ok, I went to best buy and wasted $64 on a 350W PSU (Antec). Its almost silent and runs cool (2 fans).

Im thinking about just forgetting about the whole return thing. It would be a waste to return it now. I only payed a few bucks for it. Im satisified that my PC is working.

Anyway the system is running excellent, minus a simple audio problem Im having with my onboard audio (soyo dragon ultra platinum kt333)

It has a glitch, and Im downloading an updated sound chip driver, hopefully that will work.