• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No icons on desktop....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abra_Volta

I just finished putting my new computer together. Then I finally was able to re-format the old hard drive I wanted to use.

Then I reinstalled WinXP. But the only icon on my desktop is the Recycle Bin. Forgive me, but I thought there were supposed to be a few more icons. Did I have an install go bad (it took a few hours) or is there something I am missing?

Ok, thanks. I was scared I screwed something up. It's been a long time since i've had to do a reinstall of any OS.

Is there a way to get icons back on the desktop like in ye olde 98?

Besides creating shortcuts the old-fashioned way?

Right-click on the Taskbar, and select Properties. Then the Advanced tab. There should be an option to turn off the XP desktop.

It aggrivates me, too :)

They do that i guess, cause it puts more cycles on the cpu , i *guess* thats why they did it ::shrugs::
I like it, i always kept it like that before xp anyway though.

Dude " Hours " To install xp?

even on my p2 300mhz 128mbs it never took hours. What ya doing over there to that poor machine?
what specs? the one in profile? Something has goto be wrong there. even upgrade dont take that long.

id do a really quick, reformat, and install.

I figured out why it was taking so slow. My old ATA/100 seemed to be dying on me. Had to go back to my trusty 8GB ATA/66 (this thing has been with me through 5 computers.

Installed Win98SE and seems to be running fairly fast (or at least faster than it was.

Abra_Volta said:
Ok, thanks. I was scared I screwed something up. It's been a long time since i've had to do a reinstall of any OS.

Is there a way to get icons back on the desktop like in ye olde 98?

Besides creating shortcuts the old-fashioned way?

RIGHT CLICK (anywere on the desktop) | PROPERTIES | DESKTOP | CUSTOMIZE DESKTOP | GENERAL choose whatever icons you like then APPLY | OK.

Back