• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No image on monitor (acts asleep). Need help troubleshooting son's PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UncleGrandpa

Registered
Hi all. Needing help troubleshooting my son's PC. The monitor just won't react to the PC at all. It's like it's not recognized.

GPU is apparently not the culprit as I tried booting from integrated graphics and that's also a no go (monitor still acting asleep).

Took out SSD (cloned windows to a new SSD a few days ago) and tried booting from a pen drive, also no go.

Switched monitors, to make it wasn't the actual monitor. But no, still the same.

Took out motherboard battery 10 mins then put it back in. Nothing.

Cannot say I'm tech savvy so please help as I have no idea where to go from here.

Am I right to think this is motherboard related then? Thankfully I do have a spare motherboard. Should I make the switch or is it more likely to be the PSU?

Are fans spinning up?

Do you have sound from the computer?

Does it get an ip address (can find it on the router and try to ping from your computer or even a phone on the network)?

Are fans spinning up?

Do you have sound from the computer?

Does it get an ip address (can find it on the router and try to ping from your computer or even a phone on the network)?

Thanks so much for the reply! The fans spin, including the CPU fan. I think there is no sound but it's hard to say as I can't get to windows. Prior to the issue I had this "OS conflict" where the PC asked me which OS I wanted to boot from, and I had to choose a volume. Unsure whether that had anything to do with this.

I don't know about the IP address. Would have to google what you said about the router as I'm totally clueless haha. Should it appear listed in Networks? I do have an older PC I can look at it from.

Here's a video of it (I put the MB on cardboard)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X3HPNrZTkipYWCbtzQuNOOo24xhDuwKu/view?usp=sharing

So I think I know what might be wrong. Will keep testing tomorrow but apparently it was the DVI-D to VGA adapter.

1589325882_conversordvid241avgamahnisutanscodvvg4d_nq_np_937776mla31135221932_062019f.jpg

I was using this adapter because the GPU needs it (I have an older VGA monitor). Then when I tried integrated graphics, I still used the adapter to connect to the mobo because I didn't even think to take it out. But without the adapter I was able to boot tonight. So in case someone has this issue, make sure it's not your adapter :)

Back