• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NO JOKE, Amd XP 2600's with BOTH 266 and 333 FSB's! Link inside.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

ehhh who cares about 333mhz fsb unless you REFUSE to unlock AND dont have a KT400 or Nforce2 board.... it is not like the 333 has a better core than the 266mhz just get whatever is cheaper... which most definetly will be the 266mhz

toddalaska

Registered
yeah i really dont see the major advantage of 333

doesnt everybody turn up the fsb to 200 or so any way.

DeRose306

If Amd stars officially supporting a 333fsb, then we should start seeing metter PCI dividers, higher FSB options, and better overclocking optins from motherboard companies.

So while yes, there's no reason to get too excited about the chip itself. we can get excited about what it brings about.

james.miller

the only advantage of the chip itself is the fact that it will have a lower multiplier and so should, in thoery, o/c better than the 266fsb version

toddalaska

Registered
if your gonna unlock any way it doesnt make any difference what multiplier come default.

if the core maxes out at say 2.5 gigs

it maxes out at 2.5 gig regardless of default multiplier

hdj

I find it very strange that a 266 2600+ and a 333 2600+ run at the same clockspeed. wouldn't there be a performance difference between the two, hm, yes ?

james.miller

if they did actually run at the same clock-speed (which i doubt because of the multipliers)

the cpu performance would be the same, but the systam as a whole would perform better because of the increased memory bandwidth

Wood Shop

Registered
The 266fsb 2600s run at 16x133=2133MHz, and the 333fsb version runs at 12.5x166.6=2083MHz.

Tipycol

DeRose306 said:
If Amd stars officially supporting a 333fsb, then we should start seeing metter PCI dividers, higher FSB options, and better overclocking optins from motherboard companies.

So while yes, there's no reason to get too excited about the chip itself. we can get excited about what it brings about.

I don't know if this chip will bring new things. It is already supported by almost all motherboard companies now, so I doubt it will cause a change in their production. Plus, VIA basically gave up on putting the 6th divider on the KT400's, although they should be on the KT400A's. If the new chips were clocked at 200fsb, then there'd be a change in what's gonna be out. Instead, it is more like AMD is adapting to what the motherboards have been offering to overclockers for about a year.

attack

It's a good change for AMD outside the OCing community. Other than that it's no big deal if you ask me. I don't think anything extraordinary will be coming up until we see a barton or hammer. DR400 isn't common enough for AMD to goto 200 FSB (which would take another month for them to paper launch then another 5 years to release). But I'm still glad to see AMD keep putting up new chips...even if there not out yet.

Tipycol

ATC9001 said:
It's a good change for AMD outside the OCing community. Other than that it's no big deal if you ask me. I don't think anything extraordinary will be coming up until we see a barton or hammer. DR400 isn't common enough for AMD to goto 200 FSB (which would take another month for them to paper launch then another 5 years to release). But I'm still glad to see AMD keep putting up new chips...even if there not out yet.

Well, I never thought of that good point. For the average computer consumer, this will be a good performance boost for their entire system, and they won't even know why ;)

OP
Kunaak

Kunaak

this post amazes me, everyone all excited about New AMD chips, but now that theres a 333 version, everyones putting it down.
what gives...
who care about price.
AMD NEEDS to make progress cause in the Non OC market Intel "Looks" like it's crushing AMD.

a 333 to most people sounds better then a 266.

including me.