• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no more gromacs for now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overdoze

seems like the gromacs servers are down.

I have to turn off the -advmethods option to fold again. Otherwise, it just waits for work forever.

Can not send work either. Oh well back to the old tinker core as long as I'm folding.

muddocktor

Retired
Flash Update, server 117 is again alive and well and dishing out some more of that Gromacs goodness!:D :cool:

It took me almost an hour to send all my backed up WU's into 117 and receive new work from it. Luckily, I had prepared for this to happen this weekend and set up multiple instances on my rigs. I never did have a rig go totally down without work today, but it came damn close.

cursor

When I was folding Gromacs my system kept rebooting out of the blue about once every couple of days. Turned off -advmethods and I've not had a problem since? I'm folding SLLLLLOOOOW though.

OP
overdoze

overdoze

if you OC too much it will do that to you. Back down the OC a notch and you will be folding 4 times faster especially on P4

OP
overdoze

overdoze

don't know why it said so. I fold gromacs with all t-bird and it takes less than 10 mins per frame. Give it a shot to see if it work. Even if it is slower it would fold the same speed as tinker core.

Preachr46 said:
Overdoze, you stated earlier that t-birds were SSE enabled along with others. I have an unlocked [email protected], but wcpuid shows no SSE support. Am I out of luck for gromacs?

OP
overdoze

overdoze

latest core 3.14 is good.

how do you start folding? graphic, text, EIII or schedule task

you need the options -advmethods -forceasm on the command line. I find it easiest with EIII.

Preachr46

I am using the graphical, with foldmonitor. I will give electron microscope a try and see what I can do. I used an earlier version a while back and had some issues with it. I'm sure it has been improved since then.

Mooky

Preachr46 said:
Overdoze, you stated earlier that t-birds were SSE enabled along with others. I have an unlocked [email protected], but wcpuid shows no SSE support. Am I out of luck for gromacs?

T-Bird does not support SSE. It does however, have 3DNow+ which is utilized by V3.14 when using the -advmethods flag. Although it's not as good as SSE for folding, 3DNow+ is very effective with the new Gromacs WUs.

OP
overdoze

overdoze

Preachr46 said:
I am using the graphical, with foldmonitor. I will give electron microscope a try and see what I can do. I used an earlier version a while back and had some issues with it. I'm sure it has been improved since then.

watch out, if you use EIII, you better use the text version and uninstall the graphical one. As it install itself in the Startup folder and start EIII might start 2 instance of the folding process.

OP
overdoze

overdoze

P610 is not gromacs. wait till it gets a gromacs one ie.. pAla7-2 (the -advmethods only work with the latest core version 3.14)

P610 has many different timming it is hard to tell.

OP
overdoze

overdoze

right and also have you have Launch [email protected] on Start-up option check? add the -forceasm after -advmethods as well so it will force to run optimize code at all time.

might want to check the Hide [email protected] and Close [email protected] windows on Shut-Down options as well

EM3 will start the folding process for you when it start and also kill it when you exit EM3. Make sure you have no Folding process start under startup and Schedule task. I also add EM3 icon under startup so when the computer reboot it will start EM3 and folding at once.

Last edited:

Preachr46

Alright, I used your suggestions, and we will see if I can get a gromacs sometime around 11pm eastern tonight. I appreciate the info and help. I wish I had even small percentage of the horsepower you have folding lol.:beer: 's to you.

OP
overdoze

overdoze

if you want to try right away. You could stop EM3, delete the queue.dat and the work directory under [email protected] directory and restart EM3 you should see result right away.