• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No optical spdif-out on Fortissimo III ?!?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ataru

Registered
Seems that the optical spdif-out on Hercules fortissimo III works just with powerdvd.
I can't hear anything using any other software.. (media player, windvd...etc etc).
I bought tha card for the optical spdif-out, and now i discover that it's basically useless.
Can someone help me?

black_dog

Registered
Yah that does suck. I was so happy when I got my Aureal Quad Vortex 2.0 sound card three years ago because it had a digital out connection, so much better than analog crap we had to put up with. I can't remember what sight had the review of this card. I recall reading something to the effect that due to royalties/liscening or certain industries not wanting to copy dvd's?? I know i'm being real vauge and non-descript here but for some reason that sticks out in my mind with the Fortissimo 3. Are there any options to enable the SP/DIF in Hercules configuration? Maybe it only works in power dvd because that program has it enabled by default or something.
Keep us updated because the Fortissimo 3 appears to have everything you could want and at a cheap price

OP
A

ataru

Registered
I called Hercules support center and i was told that the current drivers version is designed to enable optical out just with powerdvd (i wonder why).
MAYBE in future driver release the optical out will work with any software.
I'm really disappointed because:
1) In hercules website there is no mention of this story
2) In hardware reviews of famous sites no one say a word about it loosing time to describe the 0.0001 Db+ or - in analogue input/output.