• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Vid signal/boot on power-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChampsElysees

Registered
Here's the situation:

Got a new case and motherboard, kept the same video card and sound card and HD that worked before the switch. Processor has one of those nice heatsyncs that don't need to use a fan.

First, it would turn off after 3sec, but after applying more thermal grease, it would start up again. But there was no video signal. And since there's no OS on the HD yet, it has nothing to boot to.

My MOBO on my other rig used to do that, but I fixed it by a CMOS reset. Already tried that as well as cancelling all the jumpers on the board back to their default and/or saftey settings.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Motherboard model is Asus A7V600-X, processor is an AMD Athlon, exact model is unknown.

2FastFX

Registered
I have the exact same problem. See the thread I just posted too. I will update you if we figure anything out.

2FastFX

Registered
My brother said he thinks my motherboard is toast. We have tried everything from resetting the CMOS to flashing the Bios. I've read all the FAQ files I can find and I can't find anything that may be causing this problem, other than a bad board.

OP
ChampsElysees

ChampsElysees

Registered
Well the board's fine, I let him use my processor and it starts up, still no signal but it constantly beeps long, loud beeps (like something's missing). So the processor got fried, but it still won't boot, just beeps repeatedly. Any thoughts there?

Onbusy

Registered
Same problem here. I could get it to boot originally, but was running really hot at idle (60*C). So I bought a real heatsink(Thermaltake Tower112 or something like that). Since I changed the heatsink, all I get is "No video signal". I tried different power supplies, vid cards, RAM, and unplugging all power connections except ATX plug. Also, I'm using the A7V600, not the -X version. Please post any solutions to this annoying mystery :(

OP
ChampsElysees

ChampsElysees

Registered
Here's the solution to what happened here, and sorry to say it's likely you have a similar problem.

We took my heatsync and processor from another rig and put it on that mobo. Worked fine. So we took the other processor and put it on the working rig, and nothing. Diagnosis: fried CPU. More common than you may think, as I have had 2 of these in the past and many others between my elite group of friends. Ended up buying a new Applebred, but still dissapointed in the fact that it was fried.

We also switched the memory, and that was really the key to booting. Strangely enough, after it worked we put the original memory back in that didnt let it boot and it worked, but I guess I'm not complaining. My suggestion to anyone with these problems is to test the mobo with a known-to-work processor, RAM, heatsync. But you'll likely need to buy new RAM, this was just a fluke occurence.