• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No wifi connection in Wireshark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

I have just installed the wireshark application to my machine to monitor wireless connection activity across my network however I only have the lan option available do I need some kind of hardware in my desktop to get this option to come up ? Tried on my parents laptop (they live elsewhere) and it had both lan and wireless options available if someone could advise me what I am missing that would be great might be a noobie question but as I said I am new to this type of software so slowly picking things up.

Tried installing wincap? I think it was called and aircap rebooted making no difference to things.

Regards,

Bandit.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
If your desktop doesn't have a wireless card you won't get that option.

If your wireless and wired are connected through a switch/router on the same subnet...are they not the same thing? :D

OP
Time-Bandit

Time-Bandit

Makes perfect sense I thought this would be the answer I would get just had to make sure there was not something simple I could do other than have the wireless card to view the data.

Yes my wireless and wired run through the same router. For some reason I am not seeing any traffic from the wireless devices coming up however.

JrClocker

You'll definitely see any multicast traffic, but probably won't see any tcp/ip traffic.

In a switch/router, you wouldn't see any traffic that was switched to point b if you are connected to point a. You would see traffic on a plain hub though.

There are some applications for your smart phone that do something similar to wireshark.

Also, have you tried looking at the wireless router? Some (like mine) can go into a mode that stores the routing traffic to a log file that you can view.

Also - if you have two network ports on your PC, you can insert the PC between the wireless router and Internet access point (i.e. Cable modem)...but you have to configure the PC correctly.

OP
Time-Bandit

Time-Bandit

Hmm the device im trying to obtain information from is naturally a wireless device but it also has a port so I can shove a lan cable into it.

Basically I am using my PC to monitor my other device.

Could I do this to make things work;

Either get a lan cable for the device I want data from and hook it into the router directly then just have my computer monitor the traffic that way.

Otherwise can I just use a working laptop with wireshark to scan the device ?

Will both options work?

I also noticed the MAC address on the device I want to monitor shows up different to the one specified in the settings eg - My router says the MAC for the device is 00:(insert rest of mac address with the last letter/number missing, and the info on the android device states the full number without the double 0 at the start of it showing the last two digits could this mean that the android device could have had its mac tampered with ? or is this common since all the devices I have ever messed with show the same mac address on the device aswell as what my router is picking up.

JrClocker

Don't know about the MAC address.

The other option will work if you turn off the wireless connection...through the router data log...or wireshark if it's multicast.