• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noctua Fan Controller Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rick711

I just ordered an x99 system and decided to replace all the fans with Noctua ones, specifically 4 of the Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM 120x120x25 mm Case Fan and 3 of the Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM 140x140x25 mm Case Fan. I want the ultimate cooling when I am at high load, that is why I chose the overkill 3000 RPM. 3 of the 120mm will be replacing my radiator fans, 1 of the 120mm will be a case fan, and 3 of the 140mm will be case fans. My motherboard, the ASRock x99 OC Formula, has 2 x CPU Fan Connectors (1 x 4-pin, 1 x 3-pin) and 3 x Chassis Fan Connectors (1 x 4-pin, 2 x 3-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control). All of my Noctua fans are 12v and 4 pin. I will be unable to consolidate these fans into these connections with adapters, given the voltage restrictions. Correct?

These are PWM fans. If I understand the technology correctly, it uses the 4th pin to throttle the voltage, instead of sending pulse signals that are potentially damaging to the DC fan motors. Correct?

I have seen several fan controllers online that claim to be PWM fan controllers, but are actually not. The most notably is the NZXT Sentry Mix 2. If I use this fan controller, will it send pulse signals? I want the best possible solution for the fans, either manual or automated temperature-dependent. I also want to utilize PWM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am just going off of research.

Here is my build thus far (I have not bought the fans or fan controller yet)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Coollaboratory Liquid Pro 0.15g Thermal Paste ($12.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 OC Formula EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($287.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($406.13 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 760T Black ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.49 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($87.26 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($137.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($264.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($27.79 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($27.79 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.9 CFM 120mm Fan ($24.72 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.9 CFM 120mm Fan ($24.72 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer Razer Naga 2014 Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3012.75

Your motherboard is your controller. What you want is a PWM Splitter. They have a plug that goes in your CPU header. The 4th wire -- the PWM wire (PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation and indeed controls the speed of the fan) -- is distributed to 3-8 fans (split), depending on what you buy. The Voltage needed to run the fans usually comes from a Molex connector that provides power directly from the PSU. No separate fan controller needed when you are wise enough to buy PWM fans.

I'm sure some other users will chime in with a variety of PWM splitters. My knowledge is a few years old.

BTW -- now is a good time to shop for bargains.

Avoiding the need for a controller is why PWM was added to fans. Your MB comes with fan control software. Although the motherboard manufacturers contemplated air cooling in the past, they have expanded to water cooling. My Z87X and Z97X Gigabyte boards, for example, have CPU fan headers for fans and the water pump. Their profiles can be set separately.

Last edited:
Bobnova made some PWM splitters... but he hasn't been on since the forum upgrade :(

Thanks for all the responses guys. I haven't had Internet these last few days...I went ahead and got the Swiftech 8-Way PWM Cable Splitter - SATA Power (8W-PWM-SPL-ST).

I knew there was something I didn't know about! Again, thanks for the expertise. I can't wait to see my PC in action here soon!

I was referring to a quote from the article at <http://www.overclockers.com/pwm-fan-controller> that claims using a standard PWM controller that modulates the 12V supply to a regular 12VDC motor damages the motor. I believe the author is referring to using a certain type of PWM controller on a non-PWM fan. True PWM does not send "pulses" of voltage to a motor, but rather a modulated, sustained voltage, correct? So yes, PWM shouldn't hurt a fan, but these so-called PWM controllers can...according to this article.

"Pulse-width modulation of DC operating voltage to modify fan speed is not recommended. Transients generated by that approach can irreversibly damage motor commutation and control electronics and dramatically shorten the life of a fan."

Thanks to ehume I now know I can plug all my PWM fans into my compatible motherboard!

Some inexpensive controllers for 3-wire fans -- fans that would normally be controlled by Voltage -- actually send out pulses of 12v current in lieu of modulating the Voltage itself. That makes the fans sound bad. This is why I quit using fan controllers with fans: I couldn't quite figure out which of my controllers were doing that. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it shortens the lives of fans.

Your motherboard is your controller. What you want is a PWM Splitter. They have a plug that goes in your CPU header. The 4th wire -- the PWM wire (PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation and indeed controls the speed of the fan) -- is distributed to 3-8 fans (split), depending on what you buy. The Voltage needed to run the fans usually comes from a Molex connector that provides power directly from the PSU. No separate fan controller needed when you are wise enough to buy PWM fans.

I'm sure some other users will chime in with a variety of PWM splitters. My knowledge is a few years old.

BTW -- now is a good time to shop for bargains.

if your motherboard doesent support pwm can you use this controller?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002L16O...TF8&colid=3AJFQYSECGUUW&coliid=I3GA9DDWSIKMB0

If you have 3-pin fans you could use the Phanteks PWM controlled variable voltage 3-pin fan hub.

Noctua sip electricity; you can gang them on a circuit without overloading it. As for the controller -- I don't use them. As for motherboards and PWM: I've not heard of any that do not provide fan control with PWM. Consult your manual, or the online pdf equivalent.

Back