• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noctua questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cdawall

I have a pair of Noctua NH-U9DO A3's I am going to upgrade my server to LGA 2011, but it uses narrow ILM as opposed to the standard square one. Does anyone know if the narrow ILM bracket will work with those coolers and were to purchase one? The NM-I2011 looks like it only works with 2011-0 and 2011-V3 square mounts so it is useless to me and that is the only 2011 product I can find...

From what I can tell the narrow ILM mount should work without issue, but after emailing Noctua they said it is not mechanically compatible. That being said they also say it doesn't work with the NH-D14 and it does minus ram clearance issues with the coolers width.

Can anyone confirm either way? I would rather use the U9DO's instead of downgrading to the NH-U9DX i4...

Last edited:
Not sure how you're thinking the NM-I2011 would work on a Narrow ILM mount, it won't.

That's what I said...

You said "From what I can tell the mount should work without issue, but after emailing Noctua they said it is not mechanically compatible. That being said they also say it doesn't work with the NH-D14 and it does minus ram clearance issue."
That reads to me like you expect the mount kit to work with the sockets it doesn't list.

You said "From what I can tell the mount should work without issue, but after emailing Noctua they said it is not mechanically compatible. That being said they also say it doesn't work with the NH-D14 and it does minus ram clearance issue."
That reads to me like you expect the mount kit to work with the sockets it doesn't list.

Meaning the narrow ILM mount for the NH-U9DX i4, you are correct I made that immensely wrong. Updated OP to clear up confusion that's my bad.

Okay, so what you're thinking is that the mounting hardware from the NH-U9DX i4 will work with the NH-U9DO A3... correct?
They're both SecuFirm2, so I would expect they should both work interchangeably, but the problem will be getting the hardware.

Okay, so what you're thinking is that the mounting hardware from the NH-U9DX i4 will work with the NH-U9DO A3... correct?
They're both SecuFirm2, so I would expect they should both work interchangeably, but the problem will be getting the hardware.

That is the same thing I was thinking, I also thought maybe the base was different, but toms hardware installed it to the D14 which has the same width 6 heatpipe setup. Maybe I will get lucky and the guy I am talking to over their email support will be helpful. I offered to pay for it I really could care less if it costs me money, I just want to use the 6 heatpipe 100g heavier U9DO over the 4 heatpipe U9DX.

AFAIK any of the SecuFirm2 are the same, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Only thing I can assume is the mount doesn't clear fins or something along those lines. The bolt setup is different in design the DO cooler bolts from the top down and the DX bolts bottom up. So one the base is threaded and the other the mount is. Don't see how that would prevent install though.

Almost the same. I previously used a U9B-SE2 with SecuFirm2. I thought the mount would be the same when I changed to a U9S. Did not align. The system itself is the 'same' but the actual dimensions changed just enough to not work so I had to use the U9S bracket. I believe it's just the top mounting plates (the 2 curved bars) that had a different positioning for the screws.

Almost the same. I previously used a U9B-SE2 with SecuFirm2. I thought the mount would be the same when I changed to a U9S. Did not align. The system itself is the 'same' but the actual dimensions changed just enough to not work so I had to use the U9S bracket. I believe it's just the top mounting plates (the 2 curved bars) that had a different positioning for the screws.

The DO appears to have the same brackets as the U9S looking at the reviews on it. It actually appears to be an almost identical base. I wonder if 30 seconds with a drill would fix it.

I interchange the Secufirm2 all the time. Just make sure you have the brackets curved to the outside. The NH-U9S uses slightly different brackets. See my review here.

As for RAM. You need low profile RAM to fit a 140mm front fan on the NH-D14. With enough room, a 140mm fan will fit in front. I have a D14 on my downstairs machine with a TY-140 on the front. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

I interchange the Secufirm2 all the time. Just make sure you have the brackets curved to the outside. The NH-U9S uses slightly different brackets. See my review here.

As for RAM. You need low profile RAM to fit a 140mm front fan on the NH-D14. With enough room, a 140mm fan will fit in front. I have a D14 on my downstairs machine with a TY-140 on the front. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

I am trying to use essentially the U9S style setup with a bracket off of the U9B's. I have a NH-U9DO A3 and has the U9S style base.

I am trying to use essentially the U9S style setup with a bracket off of the U9B's. I have a NH-U9DO A3 and has the U9S style base.

Noctua said:
The NM-A90 Upgrade-Kit for NH-U12P SE2 and NH-U9B SE2 CPU coolers makes it possible to install the heatsink turned by 90° on socket AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM1, FM2, FM2+ motherboards.

Alas for you, it is a discontinued item.

Are you looking at a current AMD setup? I can't picture one of those, since I haven't gotten an AMD for 20 years or so (1996?).

Alas for you, it is a discontinued item.

Are you looking at a current AMD setup? I can't picture one of those, since I haven't gotten an AMD for 20 years or so (1996?).

This is one of DO coolers, currently setup for G34

proxy-php052.jpg

proxy-php513.jpg

proxy-php.jpg

Guess this is an excuse to sell these or setup another G34 rig.

It's a beautiful setup. Hmm. You re thinking of going to 2011-3 sockets. You said "I am going to upgrade my server to LGA 2011, but it uses narrow ILM as opposed to the standard square one." What is a narrow ILM LGA 2011?

It's a beautiful setup. Hmm. You re thinking of going to 2011-3 sockets. You said "I am going to upgrade my server to LGA 2011, but it uses narrow ILM as opposed to the standard square one." What is a narrow ILM LGA 2011?

Right now that setup is watercooled anyway so these coolers are just collecting dust.

proxy-php313.jpg

proxy-php.png

This board has a narrow ILM socket setup on it as opposed to the square 2011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7615&cm_re=asrock_rack-_-13-157-615-_-Product

I have a suspicion you won't be able to use the old heatsink in the new rig. A shame, really.

Back