• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Node 804 Water Cooling - n00b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pekulior

I've been dealing with hardware for a while now. I've dealt with personal computers, gaming machines, servers, data centers, etc etc, so I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to various hardware setups. The thing that has gotten me lately is water cooling. After putting together a new desktop for home gaming/media, I started looking at "pimping it out" a bit. My current setup is below.

Fractal Design Node 804 case
Asus Maximus VII Gene mATX motherboard
Intel Core i5-4690K gently overclocked to 4.6GHz
32GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz (4x8GB)
MSI N760 TF 4GD5/OC (Nvidia GTX 760)
LSI MegaRAID 9271-8iCC RAID Card w/ CacheVault
1000W Lepa MaxBron PSU
8x 2TB Hitachi 7200 RPM SATA II 3.5" Hard drives in a RAID5 array (For game storage and media storage)
1x Intel 530 Series SSD (Containing Windows 8.1 Pro x64 install)
1x Corsair Hydro H100i All-In-One Water CPU Cooler (4x 120mm fans for push/pull configuration)
6x 120mm fans (2 on front left, 2 on front right, 1 on back left, 1 on back right) pulling air from front and exhausting it out the top/back
1x 80mm fan blowing air directly onto the LSI card heatsink (gets rather hot without forcing air over it)

The GPU I have currently will probably get taken out and replaced with the Asus ROG GTX 780 Poseidon. I like the look of it, it matches the current red/black scheme of everything and it has the waterblock already installed to the board. The card I have doesn't have an option for a water block that will cover the entire card so I would have to resort to a universal waterblock and then find some way to cool the RAM and other chips. If I was to put that money into getting this card to do all of that, it would be pretty close to the difference in cost to just getting the Poseidon

The motherboard, CPU, radiator, GPU, RAID card are all installed on one side of the case while the PSU and 8 3.5" drives are on the other. The SSD is mounted behind the front bezel.

I do love this case and I've been able to fill it nicely. My next goal is to set up a custom loop that will go to the CPU, Mosfet/VRM, Chipset, RAM, GPU, and LSI card.

Here is what I was thinking about getting...and this is where I need some guidance/advice since I'm new to setting up custom loops.

Here are the parts I've come up with.

CPU: Swiftech APOGEE XL PPCS Custom ROG Edition
Chipset: EK ASUS ROG M6G Southbridge Chipset Liquid Cooling Block
Mosfet: EK ASUS M6G MOSFET Liquid Cooling Block
RAM: Bitspower Galaxy Universal RAM Module Liquid Cooling Block (for 4 DIMMS)
Radiator: EK Ultimate Performance CoolStream 240 XTX Series Liquid Cooling Radiator
Reservoir: AquaComputer Pump Adapter w/ Aqualis Reservoir (450mL)
Pump: Aquacomputer D5 Pump Motor w/ USB and Aquabus Interface
Tubing: PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red Tubing (i don't want to try my hand with rigid acrylic tubing just yet)
Fittings: Compression fittings (need help with sizes I should get)
LSI Card: Universal waterblock (have to measure size, but can't take it out yet since system is in the middle of some stuff)
Liquid: for now, I'll probably just go with distilled water with some pure silver and some anti-corrosives added in to keep that part simple and cheaper

So... looking at the above, will the pump and radiator be able to handle the cooling for the cpu, gpu, chipset, mosfet/vrms, and ram or will I need a bigger pump and another radiator (the node 804 can, technically, hold 4 radiators, but because of how many drives I have, I would be able to get away with 2x 240mm radiators and *maybe* 2x 120mm radiators MAX.

I've attached a recent picture of my setup from the main side before I started doing some cable management. I've also recently remove the PCIe Wireless card as it was no longer needed (I may end up re-installing it to the mPCIe slot on the motherboard instead, but I digress...) Also, my extra 2 sticks of RAM had been removed in that picture (sorry if that confuses anyone)

The link to the node 804 case can be found at http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-804

Attachments

• 20140828_221447.jpg
    20140828_221447.jpg
    884.3 KB · Views: 7,897
My plan was to get the same case and stuff my Bitfenix rig into it, since i have cooling issues with that setup.

But why do you want to cool mosfets and ram? Its a waist of money.

Back