• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noise-deaden a VIA Aqua 1300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hey all! I got an idea. Can you take some of that sound-deadening material that people slap to the sides of their computer cases, cut a small piece, and slap it on the side of this [email protected] noisey pump? I know the material works by converting the energy to heat, but, thats not a problem, i dont think. Would it work?

SOShootME

Hey dreammmatt,

I am not sure what effect wrapping the pump in sound dampening material would have. The Via's run hot as it is, so I don't know if wrapping it is a good idea.

Have you tried doing the impeller mod to your Via? It made my Via 1300 nearly silent at the expense of a few startup issues. (i.e. gluing the impeller shaft makes it tough for the pump to startup)

http://www.wc101.com/guides/ViaAqua/

Croll all the way to the bottom and listen to the before and after mp3 files. I did not believe the after file until I did the mod myself.

I run my system 24/7, so I don't have to worry about the pump starting up too often. It does always start, but it sits there rumbling for a few seconds till it gets going.

I also have the Via stuck the bottom of my case using suction cup feet that came with it, and I have some foam rubber stuffed between the side panel and the Via to kill a rattle.

OP
D

dreammmatt

lol - - well, stupid me, i had to SEAL my pump together because of leaks - - and didnt do the mod when i had it taken apart X_X because...it was...silent...at the time...lol

=ACID RAIN=

Yup, when you get the Via, do the impeller mod first thing, then seal the housing after you test the pump.

To stop vibration, I used a zip-tie loop to suspend the pump in the air inside my 5.25 drive bay area. Now the case can't even rattle to annoy me, it's perfect. The only thing I hear is the light hum of a few fans I have for component cooling and circulation :)

OP
D

dreammmatt

To stop vibration, I used a zip-tie loop to suspend the pump in the air inside my 5.25 drive bay area.
w00t! i'm tryin that, cuz i have it in there too - heh