• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noise reduction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yokimaru

My liquid cooling is super loud is it possible to reduce the noise level at all by maybe replacing the fans on it? If not I am going to buy a heatsink, I am tired of my pc sounding like a small vacuum. I would love to tell you the type it is but I have no idea I got it from a friend who gave me his parts when he upgraded his pc and he has no idea either

Please list your full system like in my sig.
You can find most of this information in CPUz, you can check the power supply by looking at the sticker on it.

Specs

Processor-----Amd FX-8150
Motherboard----------------MSI 97A-G46 (MS-7963)
CPU Cooling----------------Liquid cooling no idea on brand or name my friend said it came with the processor so I am guessing it is an amd
Video------------------------Nvidia Geforce 660ti
OS Drive--------------------120gb samsung evo ssd
Storage Drive---------------1.5 tb western digital
Power----------------------- 500 watt
Memory--------------------- DD3 8gb single channel 666.6MHz 9.9.9.24
Case------------------------- DYIPC Skyline full atx tower

You have A LOT of dust and grime in there...you should start by vacuuming out the dust! :thup:

(you should vacuum the dust out of the radiator too - after you take off the fan).

Does this look like your cooler: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2699

1. How are the processor temperatures under full load? (If they are low enough, you may just be able to reduce the fan speed.)
2. Are the fan cables connected to a motherboard CPU fan header or to the cooling pump block?
3. Is there a cable that goes from the cooling pump block to the motherboard CPU fan header, or is it connected directly to the power supply?
4. From the model number on the radiator fan, it looks like it's a 120mm Fan. Can you measure the length/width of the fan on the radiator?
5. What sort of price range are you looking at for fans?

The radiator in there is pretty thick, so you can reduce your noise by running 2 fans on either side of the radiator in push/pull (if there is room to move the cooler 1 fan thickness (25 mm) farther into the case.) With 2 fans like this, you can lower the RPM on both to get better airflow.

What sort of fans are in the front of the case? The large dust build up points to either no fan filters on the intake, or negative pressure (more fans blowing out than blowing in).

The noise could also be an indicator that the air flow isn't sufficient enough as the CPU temps are getting pretty high. That could be the cause of cable management all the way to the radiator being coated with dust which isn't allowing the proper cooling to happen.

From the looks of that first pic, it looks like it may already be in push pull.

OP, you need to get a vacuum as suggested and then a can of compressed air to clean out whatever remains. Definitely clean out that radiator and replace those fans with some noctua ippc fans or something of similar quality/performance.

cpu temp on load is fine

I agree with the dust. The real issue with dust is mostly because the power supply i have is insufficient to run all the fans in my case at once which is being remedied very soon. I blew it out with compressed air after I took the pic. My cpu idles at 16-18C and never goes above 25 on load. I have no issues with over heating whatsoever. As this thread stated I am talking about noise reduction not performance enhancement. There already are a dual fan setup on the cooling pump block. How do I change the fan speed?

That does look like my cooler, thank you for finding that, I had a feeling it was some kind of AMD but I was unable to find it when I searched a little while ago. I am getting an 800 watt powersupply soon so I will be able to utilize all my cases fans. When I had them all running before my friend gave me his old parts when he upgraded dust never had a chance to settle in my computer, it was great. All of the fans in my tower are 120mm, including the ones on the heatsink. As I stated I was just wondering if putting quieter fans on the cooling block would make a difference in noise. I am 100% certain that is where the noise originates.

It looks like the cable from the cooling block connects to the motherboard. The fan cables are connected to the cpu header. As far as price range goes, I want fans that will be quiet if that will help. Otherwise I am taking the thing right out and switching to a coolmaster hyper 212 evo heatsink. I got the liquid cooling when I got the parts so at the time it was what I had and I am not overly comfortable with anything liquid being in my pc.
You have A LOT of dust and grime in there...you should start by vacuuming out the dust! :thup:

(you should vacuum the dust out of the radiator too - after you take off the fan).

Does this look like your cooler: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2699

1. How are the processor temperatures under full load? (If they are low enough, you may just be able to reduce the fan speed.)
2. Are the fan cables connected to a motherboard CPU fan header or to the cooling pump block?
3. Is there a cable that goes from the cooling pump block to the motherboard CPU fan header, or is it connected directly to the power supply?
4. From the model number on the radiator fan, it looks like it's a 120mm Fan. Can you measure the length/width of the fan on the radiator?
5. What sort of price range are you looking at for fans?

The radiator in there is pretty thick, so you can reduce your noise by running 2 fans on either side of the radiator in push/pull (if there is room to move the cooler 1 fan thickness (25 mm) farther into the case.) With 2 fans like this, you can lower the RPM on both to get better airflow.

What sort of fans are in the front of the case? The large dust build up points to either no fan filters on the intake, or negative pressure (more fans blowing out than blowing in).

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate the reply, however my issue is not quality/performance it is noise control. Although it might look like a lot of dust in there it really wasnt a lot, the flash makes it look worse than it is in person. I have no overheating issues, and I have no performance issues. Just tired of the noise.

- - - Updated - - -

I would agree with you if that were the case, however it is not the case as my cpu idles at 16-18C and 25C on load. I dont know how everyone is missing the point of this post. It is about noise control. If I said I was having overheating issues or performance issues that would be one thing but seriously, lol it is about noise control. As stated in a previous post, the flash from my camera phone makes it look way worse than it actually is in person.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to point out that the only actual dust build up is on the fan itself, the cooling block is clear.

No we are not missing the point of the post about noise control...sometimes systems will spin up the fan speed when the processor gets hot. Dust and gunk reduce the effectiveness of the cooling system...hence making the fans run higher.

If your temps are as you state, then they are fine.

You say you have the fan connected to a motherboard CPU header. Have you tried going into your BIOS and changing the fan speed that way? I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but if it's like other MSI motherboards you have the option to control the fan speed to a fixed value, or to give it an RPM profile as a function of CPU temperature.

Try going into your bios and see if you have that option.

Are the fan headers on your motherboard 3 or 4 pin?

I've recently become a fan (sorry for the pun) of the fractal brand. 120mm is the size you are looking for. Since this cooler is on its second owner, it may be prudent to replace them. I do agree with JrClocker in that you could probably control your fan speed in the BIOS/UEFI and this alone may answer your question.

*edit*
In finishing reading the review that JrClocker posted, this setup is measured at 37 and 62 DBa which is loud by most accounts. Even the low speed rating of 37 can be heard above a whisper which is too loud for me. To be honost, I'd switch to a $30 CoolerMaster 212 EVO air cooler. Your temps will be higher but you will not hear it and the cost is more than reasonable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Last edited:
I've recently become a fan (sorry for the pun) of the fractal brand. 120mm is the size you are looking for.

Are you referring to the Fractal Design Venturi HF-12? If so, how does this compare with the Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000?

@yokimaru: If you have 4-pin headers on your motherboard, I recommend the Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 fan as a replacement. But check your motherboard BIOS for fan speed settings first!

Back