• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noise when higher CPU usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustDepends

Is it normal that when i play a game or run prime95 test it sounds like something is getting louder. Its like a buzzing that you can't really tell that it's there until it stops. I can kind of hear it now but its not as loud. So is it normal.. Do i have a problem?

Xtreme Barton

my first question would be who made the brownies (jk'ing)

and ive never experienced abnormal noises i personally would think its not normal ... not to say that anything is gonna die for sure but who knows .. what are your temps ? and what voltages you running ?

OP
JustDepends

JustDepends

my first question would be who made the brownies (jk'ing)

and ive never experienced abnormal noises i personally would think its not normal ... not to say that anything is gonna die for sure but who knows .. what are your temps ? and what voltages you running ?

Uh temps are are around 35-45 on idle and 63-72 running prime95. And my voltage is 1.360. And as you can see down below, i have an i5 750 at 3.8ghz.

Xtreme Barton

have you trie backing off your clocks to see if it goes away ? its def not coming from your psu right ?

OP
JustDepends

JustDepends

These where my 2 main thoughts. Some psu's make a buzz after a % of power is being used and sometimes its just the fans going faster to cool the system.

I only notice the sound becoming louder when the CPU usage gets higher. Doesn't the voltage remain constant even when the CPU level of use increases? And i'm almost certain there is no sensor to increase the fan speed.

Hopefully its the PSU because that's cheaper to get a new one and bonus i have a lifetime warranty. If it were to break.

Xtreme Barton

take a toilet paper roll and put it o your ear ( a clean one) and try to see if you can pinpoint the noise a little better .. and be sure to post picks of you doing that :D

OP
JustDepends

JustDepends

Could it be my hardrive?... now that i have listened to it more it sounds a little bit like a disk spinning.