• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noisy Global Win

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speaky

Hey,i just picked up a new global win SAK-38 for a fair price from my local computer shop to prepare for overclocking my 750amd athlon thunderbird. I installed and took my old socket A fan out and added it as a system fan as there is nowt wrong with it. I put my new fan in and it runs but i got 2 problems 1)Its soo noisy it it jus not touching my powersupply. 2)my core temp is not much lower than it was before even though,it was 55-60 and not it is 50-55. and i don't know any programs to check while i am runnin computer,i have just been using the temp check in bios. plus... now i have my new fan, how do i overclock on my gigabyte GA-7IXE4 motherboard, as i only have FSB and seems not to be the option in bios and no jumpers on the front of the case. the FSB is set to 100mhz and its maximum is 115mhz. I know i have to unlock my L1 bridges,but don't know why. I am a total newbie at this. Any help is VERY appreciated!
Please help me save my ears and speed my computer up to a reasonable speed! :D
-Speaky-

-=BUMP=-

anyone? if no1 can help i think i might be taking this fan out and scrap the overclocking idea if i can't get the coolage

Concerning the noise, try some padding... its from akasa, very good, i noticed a huge difference when I put that in! It was virtually silent before i put in extra fans, and now it is more of a deep growl when i turn on the computer instead of a huge high pitched din of fans...

First of all:

Welcome to the O/C Forums!!!!

First of all you will need to address the cooling for your t-bird proc. 50-55 C is still way too hot, IMHO. I have no experience with your new hsf(heatsink/fan) but I seem to remember reading that it performed decently. Are you using some thermal compound to help transfer the heat from the proc to the heatsink? This is a must have item for t-bird procs due to the heat output. If you didn't use a thermal paste or the thermal pad that might have come on your proc, you need to shut down now, and run to Radio Shack or an electronics supply house and get some thermal paste. IMO, Arctic Silver 3 is the best thermal paste out there but there are people that swear by the radio shack white goo too. Next we have to check your case ventilation. Do you have any intake and exhaust fans on your case. You need to move fresh, cool air in and exhaust the hot air out of your case or the best hsf in the world will not cool your proc because of the lack of heat differential between the air in the case and your hsf. I suggest a minimum of an 80 mm fan in the lower front as an intake fan and at least a 60 mm fan, with an 80 mm fan even better, as an exhaust fan in the top back of the case, besides the psu fan.

Once you have gotten the heat down to under 40 C when the computer is loaded with a program like prime95 or the Folding@Home distributed computing client, then you can start thinking about overclocking your proc. The older t-bird procs generally can be overclocked to the 900-1000 range with good cooling, but I'm not sure if you can do that with your old board. I d/l the manual from gigabyte and I'll look through to see if your board supports changing the multipliers by jumper or bios because your fsb options are limited to 115 mhz max.

Get your temps under control first, then worry about overclocking. When you post a question like this, be sure to give as many specifics as possible, such as case manufacturer(if known), case ventilation, ram amount and type, etc.

I hope this helps you out on your quest to wring the most performance out of you t-bird proc.

I just took the fan out,it was driving me crazy,the noisy was high because my power supply is nearly touching the fan - my old fan is smaller in height than the new one. without the power supply touching the fan i got the temp at 30degrees C. When i put it on it went up to 40 in a minute or too... my old fan started at 35degrees C and over 5mins was up to 50degrees C. I have 384megs of RAM at the moment (1 128 stick n 1 256 stick i think they are 133) I am not using any thermal compound as this is my first attempt and wasn't aware of it. Told u i was a newbie at this ;) As for intake... my case (where do i find out the make? it was kinda store bought,i picked the components for it but RAM UK put it together for me,didn't choose case though) There is no front intake,there are no holes at front at all other than for cd drives n floppy drive. I have a pretty good exhaust,its jus that that is what is stopping the fan getting as much heat out of the proc as pos i think. If i changed the FSB (if no other overclockin method is available) up to 115mhz - would my old ATI Rage 32mb card still fun at high resolution and 32bits? and what other affects would changing the fbs have on my computer? I would like to know i can actually reach 900-1gig overclocking before getting all the thermal paste,padding extra holes in my case etc... otherwise i am wasting my time and money,for what it is worth i may save up and just buy a 1.2 if the fastest i can overclock to is gunna be about 850.... Once i have found out how fast i can go i will put my new fan back on,add the thermal paste,add the padding,get the intake and exhaust better and give it another go. for not i am content with my 40-50degree fan n 750 while i work out how to speed it up without the headache from the rattling case ;) thanks for the help,any more advice for me is much welcomed and appreciated! for any who want to see the board,i have attached a jpg of it...

It sounds like your power supply is interfering with your hsf's contact with the cpu when your fan is attached to the heatsink. You will need to figure a way to give some clearance between your hsf and the power supply before you do any overclocking. And get you some thermal paste to mount your hsf with before you run your computer again. Without any thermal compound or a thermal pad that a lot of heatsinks come with already installed on the bottom of the heatsink, you will have very poor heat conduction between the cpu and heatsink and can burn your proc up in a hurry. I looked at the manual for your board and you have no way to change the multpilier setting on the board or in bios, so you are basically stuck with overclocking by the front side bus speed alone. I can't speak for your Rage vid card but the vid cards that I've used could stand a bit of front side bus overclocking with no problems, including a Radeon LE.

Thanks,much appreciated. Next time i nip into town i will get the paste,what program can i use to monitor cpu temp from inside windows? a link would be very helpful as i have searched net and can't find any :( How would i be able to get clearance from the fan? I can't move my power supply without drilling new holes into the metal case... not very plausable. I may jus save my money,keep the 2ghz fan,buy a new case,board,gfx card etc... and tranfer my existin ram moniter and buy a new cpu which i may choose to overclock or may not. I don't see much point overclocking this one for an extra 100mhz of proc power. Its due for a revamp soon anyway,maybe end of year,on its 2nd bday ;) hehe anyway thanks alot muddocktor and admiral. looks like i am stickin with 750 for a while... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yay,i am at a steady speed of 43degree C with my old fan. As soon as i can find some way to keep the global win fan from touching the power supply and stop it rattling the case (giving me head ache in the process) i will put it back in.

argh,just messed with settings on MSM 5 and realised the temp sensor it was set to before was case not cpu! my cpu temp is 63!! better make that trip to town tomorrow! Good job its my easter holiday at the moment so i got plenty of free time (though i should be revising for gcses... o well)

Back