• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non-ECC/Unbuffered... what does that mean?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amino

Ok, I've got an 8K3A+ and was wondering about something.

At nutrend.com, I see 2 types of PC2700 memory... one says "Unbuffered Requires DDR supported Motherboard," and also is Non-ECC while the other doesn't. The Non-ECC one is also about 15 bucks more expensive.

So I was wondering what the difference between the two were, and if my mobo supported the Non-ECC stuff, because I'm confident that my board's a DDR one. I mean, I'm pretty sure I have DDR ram in there now!

Here's the link to the web site: http://www.nutrend.com/app/search.asp?submit=BROWSE&manufactory=1666

ECC stands for Error Correction Code. As you can guess, it's a means of verifying the integrity of your memory. The method used is a little bit more complex than simple parity checking and can detect double bit errors. Most people don't use it. It's pretty much used in servers. Same with registered memory. Furthermore, it slows performance.

Back