• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob clear case help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

I got all my measurements done and all. The case it going to be made out of Plexi glass (AKA Acrylic) I knows its not the BEST stuff around, but I'm pretty sure it'll suit my needs. Its going to be 5.50" wide and about 18" tall. I plan on installing 2 120mm 85cfm fans in the front ( giving me an airflow of 240 cfm in) and 3 80mm fans in the back ( giving me 240cfm out ) and one 80mm in the top of the case to help vent hot air that rises. I got an Athlon XP 1600+ now @ only 1.6. with the ATX mobo, 350w PSU, video card, sound, etc. etc. How would you reccomend putting together the sheets of acrylic? would a siliocne sealeant or adhesive do ok? Also, what would u reccomend to cut the acrylic with? Or would u reccomend assembling the case with fine threaded screws? I plan on painting the mobo with a non-conductive glow in the dark paint. So my vision, I ope, is for theis case to be pretty cool looking. Youcan check out my sig to see my specific system stats. Thanks a lot

:) :D ;) :beer:

MajinSSJVegetto

Not sure about most of that, but one note on screws.

Acrylic can break pretty easy. If you plan on tapping (adding the threads so screws screw into the acrylic) be very careful. The tapping process puts a lot of stress on acryllic. More than you would expect.

Fast-Fob

You should use the special plexi-glass glue that they sell along with the 'glass. It's holds like a mofo and dries clear.
good luck.

cwb27

I think at one point in time they use Acetone for joining Plexi, but I don't know for sure. Definitly go with something designed to bond pieces of plexiglass though.

jacheatamobits

i was going to build one, too, but its too time consuming (good time that can be spent playing UT2k3) check this one there i s at least one other acrylic case out there, too, i think it was a german website (i couldnt read it)

there is also the issue of ESD... you know, kinda like EMP, except instead of killing octupus/robots out to kill you , an ESD will kill your computer... material such as acrylic generates static, until, one day...

dead ;)

leathersmt

At a place called Tap Plastics, they have the stuff that joins them together, but be careful while joining them, if the stuff runs, (the glue) and it is very thin,and it has a setting time, then it doesn't look good at the joint. http://www.tapplastics.com/