• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob First Post - ADVICE!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeckulz

Registered
How do!
This is my first post but Ive been mooching for a couple of weeks.

Im going to be building my first DIY system after xmas with the money recently got at my birthday and the money I get at xmas.
I wanted to do this for a couple of reasons, my current system (kindly handed down to me by the fiances dad) is okay, but after using it with adobe premiere and photoshop (20+ layer projects) and having to wait ages for simple processes (its a celleron on a board that takes SDDR- Maxed out at 2GB RAM) and more recently getting into the idea of recording some music (I play guitar and drums) Im begining to realise its probably just a bit pre-historic.
I also want to try my hand at a few online classics (counterstrike et al, although the PS3 takes care of 95% of my gameing needs).

All the above, and Ive just always wanted to build one are the main reasons for trying this.

Im pretty certain on the case, Im planning on an Antec 300 (cheap, but with plenty of potential straight out of the box).
The hardware seems to be where Im at a loss to know whats tasty, and what's tat.
I want dual core and around 4gb RAM, so with that said I go on ebay and found this little package
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....ategory=131523&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=2
Does it look decent?
Does the motherboard pose any performance 'bottle-necks'?
That RAM looks fair cheapo, but it says that it's 1066, and I was under the impression that is pretty good.
Is the onboard graphics decent enough to get me set up (mild photoshopping) untill I can obtain a semi decent card?

Im recycling a Tagan 480w PSU out of the current system and an IDE HDD with all my programe files etc and Im gonna be using a WD 320gb SATA too.

The rest of the cash is going on paint, braid/sleeve, fans, heatsink, filters, bits n pieces so I can get it pretty and then forget about aesthetics, so I can just focus on performance down the line.

Sorry if Im asking questions that are too broad.

Any input welcome

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Welcome!

For what you want to do, it would be best to get a quad core CPU. And for your budget, probably and AMD quad core.

The motherboard doesnt bottleneck anything you will be getting, or anything really.

Onboard will be fine, but I would step up when you can.

That PSU will be fine for onboard video, but I would look into something that has a little more quality in it when you get another GPU.

I would honestly look into performance now and make it pretty later. Your free time will thank you. ;)

psionic98

+1 on earthdogs reply..

changing performance down the road sometimes forces aesthetics changes along the way.. why waste the time/money to make it pretty now when you could knock out another performance notch instead?

all of the money you will spend on paint/sleeving cables/filters etc (not fans/heatinks) could come to about 1/2 of the money needed for a better quality PSU.. or even a cheaper, but better standalone GFX card.

J-O_S-H

Welcome to the Forums! :welcome:

Earthdog has hit the nail right on the head with his reply...

It is nice to have a great looking PC... but not at the cost of performance...

AMD is a good pathway for a budget Quad core setup...

A simple question :: What is your budget?

From there people can suggest the best option for as close to your price range as possible.

You don't really want to hook your new rig up to an old budget Tagan PSU... or you could end up :cry: when it goes bang... and possible takes out other components with it.

I don't think people really understand hoe important a quality power supply really is when they first start out.

OP
jeckulz

jeckulz

Registered
Havent really got budget set in stone yet, but it should be looking in the region of £300/£350. (£400 if I sweet talk and do the dishes for a month)
Is quad core REALLY neccessary? I was under the impression that number of cores dictated how many processes a CPU can manage, and RAM determines how fast?
Is that oversimplified???

The PSU is actually not that old, it was replaced only a few months before being given to me around 18 months ago.

ALSO -Just wanted to ask, I keep seeing these higher priced mobos with a joined up heat sink (2 sinks linked by a pipe) that sit underneath the CPU, and to the left of it. What is this heat-sink cooling? And what does it do?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
For what you do, a quad would be best. And with the budget you listed, is achievable.

Its not the fact that its old. Its the fact that its normally associated as being a sub par PSU.

Its cooling the Northbridge and mosfets/VRMs. As far as what it does, well its a heatsink, it takes heat away from the component its covering. ;)

J-O_S-H

Here is a possible shopping list (from overclockers UK)

39912817f8.jpg

Quad core, good Mobo, Quality PSU, DDR3 4gb, Antec 300

OP
jeckulz

jeckulz

Registered
For what you do, a quad would be best. And with the budget you listed, is achievable.

Its not the fact that its old. Its the fact that its normally associated as being a sub par PSU.

Its cooling the Northbridge and mosfets/VRMs. As far as what it does, well its a heatsink, it takes heat away from the component its covering. ;)

Are Tagan not that great then??
Cant justify more than around £50 for a new PSU

And LOL, I wasnt clear there, I know how heatsinks work, "what does it do" was meaning what does the covered component do?
Ie
What are the Northbridge and mosfets/VRMs?

Thanks again

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r

Risking "blowing up" other components doesn't justify a high quality PSU? The PSU needs to be a good one.

Northbridge houses the memory controller, mofsets are used to amplify or switch electronic signals, and VRMs are voltage regulators.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Are Tagan not that great then??

And LOL, I wasnt clear there, I know how heatsinks work, "what does it do" was meaning what does the covered component do?
Ie
What are the Northbridge and mosfets/VRMs?

Thanks again
No they arent that great. Which is why a couple people have mentioned that already! :thup:

Northbridge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)

VRM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator_module

OP
jeckulz

jeckulz

Registered
Risking "blowing up" other components doesn't justify a high quality PSU? The PSU needs to be a good one.

Northbridge houses the memory controller, mofsets are used to amplify or switch electronic signals, and VRMs are voltage regulators.

Right then chaps, heres the challenge.
£400
Build me a system in an antec 300 (with 1 IDE and 1 SATA that I already have) including, mobo, cpu and heatsink, ram, psu, using all fan holes (120's)

GO! :cool:

J-O_S-H

This goes just above 400 with shipping (postage) but very good...

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 810 2.60GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail £116.99
Code:
[url]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-239-AM[/url]

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard £105.00
Code:
[url]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-168-GI[/url]

OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 Low-Voltage Dual Channel £69.99
Code:
[url]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-183-OC[/url]

Corsair VX 450W ATX Power Supply £55.99
Code:
[url]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-006-CS[/url]

Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black (No PSU) £46.99
Code:
[url]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-101-AN[/url]

Total = £408.47 with delivery... Also from overclockers.co.uk

BobbyBubblehead

+1:sly:

#Laughs#

(did you know the google earths sponsored link for Wigan is dominos pizza #Laughs more#)

Last edited:

psionic98

that doesn't include the uh..."filling the holes"..

with all the fans/heatsink etc you're gonna run over 400.. even if you backed down the X4 810.. go check the car for more loose change!!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I snickered a little at that wording myself... :)

I like the Antec Tri cools and they have a speed switch on them. Or Yate Loon mediums.

kkpudge7

I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I would like to bring it to your attention. If the hard drive you plan on recycling out of your old computer has windows installed on it, you are going to need another hard drive to back up all of your data. Because windows will have to be renistalled. Just fyi :) Welcome to the forums btw! great place you've found, with scores of people willing to help.

OP
jeckulz

jeckulz

Registered
I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I would like to bring it to your attention. If the hard drive you plan on recycling out of your old computer has windows installed on it, you are going to need another hard drive to back up all of your data. Because windows will have to be renistalled. Just fyi :) Welcome to the forums btw! great place you've found, with scores of people willing to help.

As mentioned, Ive also got a 320SATA that Im gonna take out of an external caddy.

One good thing about living in wigan (forgetting about hoards of obese people swooning over the fact the town now has a domino's) is that Im 20 mins from Scan (of scan.co.uk fame) so I can save some fat ££ on postage.

Thanks for that build suggestions there Josh, really apreciate that mate.
However, Im just wondering...
Is it not better to have a great dual core rather than a mediocore quad core (gedit?- lol)
Seriously though, fill me in.

Thanks again for all the info guys.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Is it not better to have a great dual core rather than a mediocore quad core (gedit?- lol)
Seriously though, fill me in.
Like we already mentioned, for what you listed you will do with the PC, a "medoicre quad" as you put it, would still be the best. :thup: