• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Intro & Rig Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats not a 280x... thats a 280... "x-edition".... Probably the most vile of misnomers ever. How they can get away with that is mind boggling.

At least he got a proper motherboard that will get him some real use out of that 8120. He can overclock the **** of out of it now.

H50/55/60's have their purpose, its not intended for overclocking. Im going to be getting one for my HTPC, the damn stock cooler is crap, and the case wont fit anything like a CM212

No kidding? X edition 280? That's vicious mislabelling. I had no idea such a beast existed.

Also, the H60 may have it's purpose, but I'm not paying $60 to get "not even Hyper 212 on a good day" performance (in CDN funds). I'd rather get a quiet replacement like one of Noctua's "lay flat" type coolers. Them thangs is quiet as heck. Less costly than the H60 too. And I dare say a little more classy looking with their horse poo and hay color scheme.

Those Noctuas seem reasonably enough priced I guess I'll order one of those nice turd coloured ones then. I only got the water cooler because I was sick of the noise of my previous fan. It was deafening.

I'd say the d14. The 15 is "better" but its 50% cost raise for 5% increase in performance.... I don't think is worth it imo.

I'd say the d14. The 15 is "better" but its 50% cost raise for 5% increase in performance.... I don't think is worth it imo.

Ya the D14 is a classic. So easy to mount too.

With any cooler, the main noise is fan noise. Control the fans, control the noise. Choosing fans that are quieter from the get-go is a good move too.

OK new motherboard is fantastic, loving it so far, was easy enough to swap everything over myself and its working great so far. Temperatures seem alright at the moment so I now have a new question....

Since I am using 2 sticks of 4 gig ddr 3 ram. I'm wondering whether I would benefit more from 2x8 gig 2400 ddr 3 or 4 x 4 gig 2400 ddr 3.

Lol

Nothing over 2133 Mhz really helps much unless you have multiple GPUs or are using the iGPU. The premium for going 2400 over 2133 (which may only be a couple bucks) isn't worth it.

2x8 or 4x4 won't make a difference. 4x4 would be harder to crank up the speed as its more stress on the memory controller.

Nothing over 2133 Mhz really helps much unless you have multiple GPUs or are using the iGPU. The premium for going 2400 over 2133 (which may only be a couple bucks) isn't worth it.

2x8 or 4x4 won't make a difference. 4x4 would be harder to crank up the speed as its more stress on the memory controller.

There's some nice Cas 10 Team Xtreem 2400 on Newegg for like $130/2X8GB. Pretty sweet.

Back