• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob needs advice on i9/z390

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drdrpaul

Noob here, so try and go easy on me.

I run one program only that is hugely cpu intensive for 10 minutes max. Mainly cpu at 100%, ram only 50% and gpu is about the same occasionally

Problem is at work, this 10 minutes really ****s me waiting for it, so I thought I would ask some ideas about oc

Specs are

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i9 @ 3.10GHz 33 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB DDR 4 single channel
nb frequency 4300 mhz
dram freq 1200 mhs
fsb:dram 1:18

Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 (CPUSocket) 30 °C
Graphics

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (MSI) 37 °C
Storage
931GB Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB (SATA (SSD)) 34 °C
28GB JetFlash Transcend 32GB USB Device (USB )

Just has a standard fan on the cpu.

A few questions.

1) Standard clock speed is 3.6ghz, but it can bump up to 5ghz or so. But i hear that there is a turbo mode (is this automatic by win10) to 4.7 ghz or so

Does this mean that the chip is really 4.7ghz, and oc will only squeeze another 300mhz, or is it really a 3.6 ghz chip that can be oc to 4.7 or so?

I was thinking of possibly getting the biggest, but moderately priced aio water cooler, and then trying a bit of gentle oc. (kinda wish i bought the chip that can do the one click oc by intel - I Know, it wouldnt be as good as anyone here, but I am time poor)

Really not looking at getting the maximum squeeze , just interested in how easy it would be, and in particular, about how much different things would be time wise, assuming the silicone lottery is average for me

All help much appreciated!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Which i9 cpu, exactly? Only the K cpus have an unlocked multiplier and can overclock (past their turbo).

1. Turbo is automatic. What all cores boost to varies by model (which isn't mentioned). You can use a program like cpuz which will display the clock speed (and more) in real time to see. Intels all core boost is less than what that peak value is they listed. You are likely running 4.0ghz+ all cores already.

Overclocking capability depends on your cooler really.. these are, for the most part, temperature limited things.

It's an easy process.. just takes some time to dial it in. As far as how much faster it will be depends on the overclock achieved. Depending on if your work is memory bandwidth heavy, you can be served a couple % better with faster memory (3600 mhz cl14/15).

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Specs are

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
RAM
32.0GB DDR 4 single channel
nb frequency 4300 mhz
dram freq 1200 mhs
fsb:dram 1:18

Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 (CPUSocket) 30 °C
Graphics

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (MSI) 37 °C
Storage
931GB Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB (SATA (SSD)) 34 °C
28GB JetFlash Transcend 32GB USB Device (USB )

Just has a standard fan on the cpu.

If I read this right, looks like your using 1 memory module, if so it would be best to use 2 16GB modules for dual channel if you need 32GB.
And like EarthDog said Which i9 is it? There are a few i9 models, 7900 series, 9800 series and 9900 series.

Last edited:

DaveB

CPU
Which i9 cpu, exactly? Only the K cpus have an unlocked multiplier and can overclock (past their turbo).

The non-overclockable i9-9900 has the base speed of 3.1 GHz specified by the OP. Also the "standard fan" mentioned only comes with non K CPUs. So no overclocking, maximum turbo 5 GHz one core, 4 GHz all cores.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Thanks.. I just didn't want to sort through the Intel ARK to find it and wasn't 100% sure what 'standard fan' meant... ;)

OP
D

drdrpaul

The non-overclockable i9-9900 has the base speed of 3.1 GHz specified by the OP. Also the "standard fan" mentioned only comes with non K CPUs. So no overclocking, maximum turbo 5 GHz one core, 4 GHz all cores.

i9- 9900 , Coffe Lake max tpd 65W

Will just upgrading the cooler to say an aio liquid one cool it, and allow the turbo to work more efficiently??

trents

Yes, better cooling might allow the CPU to keep more cores in full turbo for longer periods of time. There are other thermally-related variables as well that can and will influence turbo behavior such as ambient air temp and efficiency of case ventilation.

In my mind, better cooling is a smart investment that might pay dividends both now and for future builds.