• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob needs help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abitavenger

ok first of all im new to the forums and my current computer is a HP prebuilt. it has an FIC VG31 mobo northwood P4 2.53Ghz and 512 ram. ive read other places in the forum that you cannot OC these prebuilts:( so im getting a new case, mobo, and cpu cooler. my real question is when i get the new mobo do i just pull the processor off the old board i mean is there anything special i should do? lol told you it was a noob question.

ImportPsycho

nothing special, just becarefull
remove cooler,
lift up the lever beside the socket
carefully pull the cpu out
put it back into new mobo, look at the pins, one coner has no pins and match it to the motherboard socket
make sure it's all the way in and put the lever down
put the cooler
done

mtnbikerjerry

It really depends on what kind of motherboard you are getting.

Noticing your new name, Abitavenger, I am assuming that you are getting an Abit motherboard.

What type of motherboard are you getting? I think that 2.53b will not have problems in an Abit IS7, or AI7, or an IC7 if that is what you are planning on.

Also, make sure that the CPU cooler that you plan on getting will fit your new board just right, another factor would be that memory that you are transfering over, what kind of DDR memory is it? What quality, cas rating etc? Before you can clock up that CPU on that new board, good memory is always handy.

AND BTW and your not a noob, a learner rather with helpful people here in these forums. (This is no hardocp site)

Noob is totally cliche, don't call yourself that.

WELCOME TO THE OC-FORUMS!!!!!!!

Can anyone else add to this thread to assist this guy.

ImportPsycho

hardest part here will be installing cooler and putting pins for power/reset/HDD switches
damn those things are so small, why do they have to make it like that?

becarefull not to strach anything when you are using screw driver
are u getting new power supples too?

mtnbikerjerry

ImportPsycho said:
hardest part here will be installing cooler and putting pins for power/reset/HDD switches
damn those things are so small, why do they have to make it like that?

becarefull not to strach anything when you are using screw driver
are u getting new power supples too?

These are obvious things. Compatibility should be the more important issue later on.

Wearing a ground strap would be good, or grounding yourself first before you touch any computer equipment is a good thing.

And don't use a power screw driver!! Don't use excessive thermal compound, or too little or none at all! Use thermal compound! Don't clamp down heatsink too tight that may crush the CPU. The heat spreaders are only so tough on the Pentium 4's.

Get those memory strips in before you install the video card. Save you a few steps of having to unscrew video card and removing it from slot, just to install memory.

OP
abitavenger

abitavenger

my setup

im probably going to get the Abit IS7-E board because its very affordable at 87.00. the case im getting is Xoxide X-Factor midtower which i think allows 6 or 7 fans. And the PSU sorry i forgot to mention it. I'm probably getting a 400w Icute with single fan. Memory..... the memory i have now is stock OEM and i know will NOT allow for alot of overclocking if any so what is nice memory that wont make my wallet start sweating? The cooler i plan on getting is the Cooler Master Aero 4 but like you said im not sure if it will fit or not. Like you can see in the subject of the post im still learning. any suggestions? thanks!

Last edited:

mtnbikerjerry

You mean the IS7 E motherboard, ok cool.

You may want to have two strips of memory to support dual channel memory configuration. That will acutually utilize your memory better. Basically meaning faster memory transfers, frames per seconds in games, file copying speeds etc.

Nice memory, could be some of the Corsair XMS 3200, or the Muskin 3200 black level II if you can find it with BH5 chips. DDR 400 is idealy what you want to run, but since you are running a 533mhz Frontside bus CPU, I am sure you can get away with some DDR 333 or PC2700 as it is called. Corsair, Kingston Hyper X or even Muskin makes DDR 333. I think there is a brand called Buffalo memory or a cheaper OCZ brand of memory.

If you must go lower in price than those above, you can always go the Mushkin blue level route with its' Cas 2.5 rated memory or Corsair Value Select DDR memory.

I advise not going to that level of memory, just the nicer strips of memory if you choose to overclock later on. You can always try and see if that existing memory will work effectively on that new motherboard. Then when you have money to pony up for better memory, then you can ask again here at the forums for some really cool whiz bang memory that will clock up supa fast.

I am sure Maxlva, or Larva or Batboy the experts will continue on this thread.

As far as the power supply goes, I have not heard of the brand called Icute. Usually a 400w powersupply will get you buy, but Enermax, Antec True Power series, Fotron, Thermaltake powersupplies are the good bet in performance. Antec being one of the more stable power supplies, I could be wrong since many vendors are still improving their lines of power supply to the growing demand of power hungry gaming machines out there.

Last edited: