• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob question about psu's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzzy

i bought a cheapo power supply for my computer i was making.. it was 550 watts for 50 bucks. anyways when i was formatting hard drive for windows my comp shuts off and irealize my psu overheated because it was EXTREMELY hot. I turned it on again after it cooled and noticed the fan didn't spin so I quickly shut it off. I looked for the fan plug to put into the motherboard(there is one right? looks like the cpu fan?) and it didn't have one so now I want to return it for a thermaltake purepower dual fan 420 watt so i was just wondering if this had a power supply fan plug because on my old comp i noticed it had one. Help appreciated! :)

RCtruckguy

get a y connector for one of the moltex conectors (those are the ones that have 2 gnds and a 5v and 12v wires right?) and splice the fan (does it have more then one?) on the yellow and a black to get real 12volts to the fan(s) and they should be at 100% power as long as your computer is on...~RCTG

Dark Disciple

That's a funny thing about PS's, some have hook ups and some dont. The ones that dont, usually just run at the same speed all the time.

There are a few components that you should not skimp on, 1 of them being the PS. But $ 50.00 is kinda steep for a no name PS even if it is 550w. Atleast it seems like a high price to me, but hey, I am a cheap B*st*rd, lol.

Good luck!!!

OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

rctruckguy, i have no idea what you just told me, lol im such a noob at power supplies. I wish my ps just ran at the same speeds but the fan doesn't even run, thats why i want/need a new one :(

juliendogg

there probably is not a connector on the psu to power the psu fan via mobo header. the fan should be connected to its power source inside the psu, sounds to me like just the fan is faulty. you can always send it to me if you don't want it, would replace my beaten worn and mostly dead 250 very nicely :D
j/k but really. even if it's generic it's a 550w and should do just fine for your setup. i'd put money on the fan being faulty and letting the psu overheat. most of them are temp controlled,

what rctruckguy was suggesting was that you open up the psu, cut the fan wires and run them out of the psu, then just splice them into the 12v+ (yellow) and the common ground (black) on any of the psu lead connectors. you can cut off an extra floppy connector or just connect the wires any way you like. this way your psu fan runs full speed @ all times and if it doesn't spin like that you know it's a dead fan.

OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

my friend took the ps and did some things to it (i have no idea what) and came to the same conclusion saying the fan is dead and to just rma it so he gave me his thermaltake 420 watt for now and i like it so i will probably keep it untill i get unlazy and put in the new 550 when it comes. thx guys!