• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob question... how to multitask?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edma2

So I have my DC CPU... how do I effectively use two cores at the same time?

For instance, one for priming, and one for gaming while its priming.
I know how to set affinities and stuff, but all the RAM seems to be going to the priming, so my game stutters like crazy.

lordkosc

edma2 said:
So I have my DC CPU... how do I effectively use two cores at the same time?

For instance, one for priming, and one for gaming while its priming.
I know how to set affinities and stuff, but all the RAM seems to be going to the priming, so my game stutters like crazy.

You need to specify how much RAM you want Prime95 to use.

OP
edma2

edma2

Ok. Let's change the example.

I want to burn a dvd while gaming. How do I do this? :)

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
that... seems kinda pointless..... priming while gaming......... Why not Fold why gaming? At Least thats useful :p

i second that... priming stinks... who cares about finding mersenne primes. poop on that, helping to find a cure for cancer is so much more important.

starrwsn

Multitasking is just doing lots of things at once. You don't have to do anything except run whatever and the DC will handle everything from there.

OP
edma2

edma2

So the RAM is split automatically by the CPU, depending on which process needs more?

I remember burning a disk while playing counter-strike source. CSS stuttered like hell...
Only doing gaming is fine though...

darksparkz

Nahh, I doubt you have to worry about setting anything unless your planning to stress both cores in prime95.

If you want to game and burn a dvd, no need to change anything on the CPU, in task manager just set the dvd burning to Low or Below Normal.

You don't need 64-bit OS, it wouldn't really affect dual cores too much, gives more benefit when there actually are 64-bit applications out there, at least you'd need a lot.

Primu$

Or set this option.
I think when you press CTRL+ALT+FRL it brings up ur task manager and when u are multitasking right click on the application you want to run and select "set priority" and select from that menu ur CPU usage (ex. low, below normal, normal, and so on...) maybe this will help watever ur multitasking!

darksparkz

Yeah, I want to know if there's anything special to set for dual cores for general Windows usage, the only thing I've heard of setting is running dual primes.

OP
edma2

edma2

Sorry, I thought this thread died right before Primus posted...

Thanks Primus, I'll try that.

People always talk about burning a CD and playing Quake 4 or something with no lag whatsoever, but its not really like using 2 computers, b/c both processes have to share the RAM... am I right?

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
edma2 said:
Sorry, I thought this thread died right before Primus posted...

Thanks Primus, I'll try that.

People always talk about burning a CD and playing Quake 4 or something with no lag whatsoever, but its not really like using 2 computers, b/c both processes have to share the RAM... am I right?

Of course both CPU's are using the same ram. What would the other CPU use? In the future it might be that each CPU will get its own ram and that but til then it uses the same. With 2 gigs of ram you have more then plenty to burn/rip a dvd and still play a game with zero issues.

Even setting priority you might not even need to do that, burning takes very little CPU power. All the issues you might see burning with the lag is due to the game trying to read info from the harddrive and not able to get the information quick enough which results in a lag. I havn't seen a single time where it takes more then a whole 1 or 2% to burn a CD/DVD.