• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NOOB wanting help with squid web cache.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbohans

Hey guys! And a lot of you in this subsection are amazing by the way!!

I want to try to set up Squid to cache my Internet downloads on a dedicated Linux machine I recently set up on my network.

I run the newest Kernel with about all of the Gnome desktop managers on this "server" and Tomato Firmware on my Linksys router.

The machine I'm setting this up on is pretty new and has a 500gb hdd, I also have another LAN card I can put in it if I need to do an input/output (or pass-through) setup.

just wonder if you guys had any input on that to make it a little easier for me.
I plan on caching everything that is downloaded through my router and from the server to access that the ip is "192.168.1.1"

I have looked though this but it seems really complicated for what I want to do and doesn't explain what I need.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
is there a specific reason you want to use squid or is that just a cache that you are aware of?
The reverse proxy configuration is used to accelerate web pages on a web server so the Link you provide is not going to achieve what you desire unless the system Squid is on is serving webpages to the world.

The biggest issue with squid is if poorly configured you become an open proxy for the world and you will see a massive amount of data pushed through it from net lowlife.

Please understand that im trying to help and not be rude when I say that Squid can be handful to setup securely and is overkill for what you really seem to need as such I would advise looking at wwwoffle which is a simpler solution originally developed for dialup but works great on broadband connections

http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/wwwoffle/version-2.9/browser.html

OP
turbohans

turbohans

I will check that out! and yea that is just the first cache program I have looked into. :beer:
I dont see anything rude about your post by the way.