• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noobie WC Buying Mistake...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

footbag

Registered
I recently purchased all of the components for what will be my first WC build. It is all currently in transit, so I've had a lot of time to read. My component list is below...

Thermaltake Armor + LCS
Asus P6T Deluxe v2
Intel Core i7 720
3 X 2gb G.Skill DDR3-1600 Ripjaws
Sapphire Radeon 5870
Corsair HX-850
WD Caviar Black 1TB
among others...

My concern is with the liquid cooling system in the case. I have read via stickies that Thermaltake brand kit's are to be avoided. I should've known that much but there is a fine line between reviews, endorsements and advertisements on the Internet, and the best quality video reviews, aren't necessarily of the best products.

All that said, I still have plans to break down the Thermaltake armour for painting. I will probably assemble the new parts in an old case for testing while painting the new case.

If I were to decide to scrap the Thermaltake cooling system, and buy a new kit what parts of the rig (besides the cpu)would benefit most from cooling? Would I be able to salvage any of the Thermaltake parts, or should I start from scratch? If I chose to assemble my own kit or purchase one of the suggested vendors kits, are the sizes mostly standard or will I find myself having to tap or drill holes for any of the new parts? I will already be creating access holes in the motherboard tray so if any are necessary, now will be the time.

OP
footbag

footbag

Registered
I cannot tell which radiator it is from the specs...

- Liquid Cooling System :
Three 5.25 Drive Bay design: liquid cooling system built inside
- Quick Disconnect Connector:
Automatic non-spill valves, robust material one hand operation
- Performance Radiator :
(A) Dimension of radiator : H 153 x W 120 x D 28 mm (B) Adjustable 120mm blue LED silent fan (1600~2400 RPM)
- P500 Lliquid Pump :
Powerful DC 12V liquid pump (500 L/hr)

BobbyBubblehead

thoes sizes suggest its a single 120mm rad

BigWater 780e

BigWater 760is

either of thoes kits maybe... being a 5 1/4 bay system?

rrp suggest... oh no! :shock:

could buy good equipment for that :rain:

Conumdrum

It looks like it only has one 120 fan on it. If so it's not big enough. The pump is weak and the block does a poor job of removing heat. And their rads aren't very efficient.

That should tell you what to do with the system that came with the case.

Spawn-Inc

looks to be a single 120mm rad? can you link to the case in question footbag?

since it's i7 i would stick with cpu only and maybe go with gpu if you really want to.

for just the i7 if you plan to lightly overclock a double 120mm sized rad will work. if you want some high overclocks a triple 120mm sized rad will be needed to keep temps in check.

for the cpu and gpu i would get a quad or two double 120mm rads.

here is my list of rads, keep in mind EK now has rads, i need to add them to the list as well. they are good for low speed fans.

Quad 120mm
XSPC RX480- good for low speed fans
HW Labs Black Ice GTX480- good for high speed fans
Feser X-Changer Triple 120 mm- good for low speed fans
Swiftech MCR420- good for medium speed fans
Black Ice SR1 480- good for low speed fans

Triple 120mm
ThermoChill PA 120.3- good for low speed fans
XSPC RX360- good for low speed fans
HW Labs Black Ice GTX360- good for high speed fans
Swiftech MCR320-QP- good for medium speed fans
Black Ice SR1 360- good for low speed fans

Double 120mm
Thermochill PA 120.2 - good for low speed fans
XSPC RX240- good for low speed fans
HW Labs Black Ice GTX240- good for high speed fans
Swiftech MCR220-QP- good for medium speed fans
Black Ice SR1 240- good for low speed fans

Pumps
Swiftech MCP355 with XSPC Acrylic Reservoir for Laing DDC or EK-DDC X-Top Rev 2

Swiftech MCP655 Vario - adjustable speed and 1 speed faster then the basic
Swiftech MCP655 Basic - is equal to the vario on setting 4.

Primochill Typhoon III + the Swiftech MCP655 price for both - $130.95

OR

XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir
+ Swiftech MCP355 price for both - $119.90

guide thats up to date.
http://overclockerstech.com/index.p...s&catid=40:overclocking-and-cooling&Itemid=88

Conundrum should post his guide when he see's this as well.

BeHappy

I have the thermaltake armor+ and it is a decent case, but I would go with something else next time. While it has PLENTY of room for drives, HDDs, mboards, watercooling, etc... but it has horrid cable management for such an oversized case. I would personally either return that case (simply put return to sender on box and deny accepting it if you don't want to pay for return shipping), and go with the regular armor+, or even choose another case.

I would definitely not bet on having any sort of good temps or overclocks using that LCS water kit. Spend that money on a decent set of components that will last you through multiple setups, or at least have decent clocks with your new found 920/5870 setup.

The ttake LCS kit is mainly for looks and the "oooh, ahhh" factor of watercooling. You will quickly find that a better performing kit (plethora to choose from: petras, sidewinder, jab-tech, swiftech) will make a much bigger impact that having a good looking/bad performing kit.

BobbyBubblehead

@ Conum - because everyones shopping like crazed fools.... oh no you post the rest of the year :shrug:

how about you post a quick guide to what you should have looked at and I may be botherd to refer people to it :D #Laughs#

Neuromancer

Quick goolge of thermaltake armor LCS shows the cheapest one available with 2x120mm rad.

I would upgrade that to 3x120, change out the block for a GTZ or better, and the pump does suck its rated at 2.2GPM. Which means you are basically replacing hte entire WC system.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-350-5.htm Is a review, it does a good job on a p4 chip and a X800 vid card.

Conumdrum

Thank goodness. I really would rather drink my Corona on a beach in Aruba. Of course, if I was doing that I could ask my personal assistant to do it.

Bobby, a guide to look at what? A guide does no good if it isn't read first. You mean a guide on cases? Wow, that would be a nightmare. My guide would read: Buy a tech station.

And I am going to a mall this afternoon. The madness! The crowds! At least there is a dozen Starbucks there, I'll be fine. They got a Starbucks in the Starbucks bathroom even.

BobbyBubblehead

Guide wuss #Chuckles#
(think youve highlighted the problem with guides :-/)

I was thinking a list to all these reference guides... an index? never mind I was pulling youre leg now its me thats wound up... ten out of ten for backfire :-/

I lace my coffee with woods wavy numb, sorry navy rum. And hide :chair: bah humbug

(no kids who am I pretending for? :shrug: :D)

OP
footbag

footbag

Registered
Wow... Thanks for the quick replies. The case in question is in this link...
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1309&ID=1480

After the comments, I think I'm going to scrap the stock WC. Thanks for the links and the info. I still like the looks of the case. I noticed in a video that the cable management was poor which is the reason I plan on drilling certain access holes.

BobbyBubblehead

to me that just makes it a case about $150 or more than it should be at least :shrug:

from the vid and specs it looks like a Bigwater 780e kit stuck in it.

I would give returning it a go myself?

still its not my spend or kit :)

OP
footbag

footbag

Registered
to me that just makes it a case about $150 or more than it should be at least :shrug:

from the vid and specs it looks like a Bigwater 780e kit stuck in it.

I would give returning it a go myself?

still its not my spend or kit :)

Well, I plan on calling Monday anyways to check if it has shipped. It seems the package is marked 1.5 LBS by FedEx. I think they might have split it. Maybe if it hasn't I'll try to switch it with the basic LCS. If it has shipped, I think I'll just suck it up. Maybe try to E-bay the kit to try to recoup. Otherwise, shipping such a huge case back and forth would start to add up in money and time.

BeHappy

...I would personally either return that case (simply put return to sender on box and deny accepting it if you don't want to pay for return shipping), and go with the regular armor+, or even choose another case...

Otherwise, shipping such a huge case back and forth would start to add up in money and time.

This is a free option... The LCS is something that you very well may regret. You have already chosen a great set of components, why skimp on the cooling:-/?

OP
footbag

footbag

Registered
This is a free option... The LCS is something that you very well may regret. You have already chosen a great set of components, why skimp on the cooling:-/?

According to the site I bought it from (Xoxide.com)...

Returns and refused packages are subject to a restocking charge. I do intend to call them early Monday and hopefully get some sort of authorization to return it without a charge. I hadn't even realized the armor was so much cheaper without the LCS.
Either way, I won't install the stock liquid cooling system. I have already begun looking at my other options. Fortunately, Xoxide Appears to carry swiftech and BlackIce, so maybe I can get a credit to swap. We'll see.
I do really like the armor case itself. I hope I don't find myself regretting that.

Spawn-Inc

well being that i own the case, minus the lcs part, it's not the best for water cooling internal wise.

here is my build when i added my gpu and painted the case black as well as cut holes for better cable routing.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=611339

with the current cases out i wish i went with the obsidian 800D.

OP
footbag

footbag

Registered
well being that i own the case, minus the lcs part, it's not the best for water cooling internal wise.

here is my build when i added my gpu and painted the case black as well as cut holes for better cable routing.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=611339

with the current cases out i wish i went with the obsidian 800D.

Wow... You made that case look teeny and half of the stuff it hovering above it. I think I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing Monday after I speak with Xoxide.