• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nyrlath

Would it be a bad idea to remove that noisy little Northbridge fan and replacew with a tall heatsink?

Nyrlath...

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
I can't even hear my northgate fan over the CPU fan (45CFM 80mm HHE Delta) so I don't worry about it, but stick a blorb on there and you might hit higher FSB speeds.

AarontheJC

I just put on my Zalman NB-32 Chipset cooler tonight. So far, everything is tucked away and good. No overclocking yet, though. I've got a 92mm above it on the wall, though. I like the way it looks mostly.

siliconacoustics_1679_1705693

Cost me $10 at coolerguys.com.

dreadlord79

Zalman does have some pretty cool and DIFFERENT designs, but they are refreshing! I love the CPU cooler, what is it called; the flower or something like that.?. To bad "the flower" doesn't cool very good. :(
Nyrlath; this would be a kick-butt cooler if you have the clearence on the mobo: http://www.overclockers.com/articles553/
1U hs made for CPU.....drooling on self noisily.....very good heat disappation....BIG FSB!!! WOO-HOO! :D :D

AarontheJC

Yeah, I went with the Zalman because of space. I originally bought a Crystal Orb for it, but my clearance was only 44cmish and the crorb was way over. I would have had to have modded it, and I just didn't have the time. Zalman is a tall, standard-sized, passive sink that is still doing just fine...but only having burned in 3 hours so far, I can't make any judgements. I love the look of the sunflowers.

dreadlord79

Edit to my last post above. I was talking with Silversinksam in another post and he pionted out that the 1U I pointed out sucks compared to the Jagcool. You can get the Jagcool here:
http://1coolpc.com/home/. Sorry about the above, got over excited! :(

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
dreadlord79 said:
Edit to my last post above. I was talking with Silversinksam in another post and he pionted out that the 1U I pointed out sucks compared to the Jagcool. You can get the Jagcool here:
http://1coolpc.com/home/. Sorry about the above, got over excited! :(

Dread, I didn't say it sucks lol, I said it was in last place in the heatsink database :D Dont feel bad when I saw the Vantec cooler I said to myself, "this looks like a great GPU cooler", then I read Joes review :)

Theres another thread almost identicle to this one HERE

dreadlord79

Thanks for the heads up Silver! I was on my out of work for a smoke and was in enough of a hurry that I couldn't remember where the other was, lol. :)

elysium

But what if you put an old hsf on you're northbridge, could that be a good idea. I have a coolermaster 60*60mm fan on my cpu with an aliminium heat sink. If I find room for it, would there be a good idea to place it on the northbride?

I'm upgrading my hsf, bit I need more input, please recommend some of the ones you find here

I really need more advices on this one...

Thanks

Ely

OP
N

Nyrlath

AarontheJC, thats the HS I was looking to get. I have an 80mm on my case wall blowing thru a duct onto my CPU and northbridge, I figured the HS would be enough with that air running over it.
Those flower heatsinks are awesome for making a quiet system, Im putting one in my server that sits in my living room. Thing thing will be plenty cooling for me there. But not on my main machine.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
SSS - Did you get an email from BART yet? He has a good offer for past customers & we can probably spread the love to the other members here as well.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
sonny said:
SSS - Did you get an email from BART yet? He has a good offer for past customers & we can probably spread the love to the other members here as well.

I did! I was thinking about a Cooljag 1U for my northbridge but I already have a blorb on there secured by AS thermal epoxy so it looks like it's there until I buy a new motherboard (ABit AT7-RAID!!).

Nyrlath, I know the coolermaster you're talking about; it's the one that looks just like the AMD retail HSF. That'd be a great northbridge cooler, provided you could fit it on. I think you could with most motherboards so I recommend this and think it is a great idea.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
sonny said:

Nope no email from Bart....Hes a nice guy even though he forgot to e-mail me ;)

It is possible Bart has my old xxxxxxxxx@Home email address and thats probably why :confused:

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
donny_paycheck said:
I did! I was thinking about a Cooljag 1U for my northbridge but I already have a blorb on there secured by AS thermal epoxy so it looks like it's there until I buy a new motherboard (ABit AT7-RAID!!).
Lucky you! It's international shipping for me so it's a little harder to get the discount. If he only sold the MCX462 again then it wouldnt be too hard:beer:
Silversinksam said:
Nope no email from Bart....Hes a nice guy even though he forgot to e-mail me;)

It is possible Bart has my old [email protected] email address and thats probably why:confused:
Maybe no discounts for the silver dealer:D