• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge Heatsink Lapping Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

Hey all, I just was sitting here thinking about more preperations for the summer in Las Vegas and after having Lapped my Intel HS I decided to go ahead and do the same with my Northbridge heatsink. I went ahead and used Daves Lapping Kit once again to get the job done right. I must say the feeling of security with lapping is an awesome one, I no longer worry about those little things getting in the way of my overclocking :D

Here we are with the start of the project. I pulled off the heatsink to discover a foam wrapping around the outer edge and a TIM in the center doing absolutely no good.

nbhs1.jpg

EWWW! Yes all that had to go! After rubbing that crap off of my heatsink (I used Googone for the job) it left me with a heatsink surface that had grooves I could feel and looked like crap. Thanks Abit for the wonderful machine work on this one!

nbhs2.jpg

Well I went ahead and got to work lapping my little heatsink and after going through 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and finally 2,000 Grit paper I was left with a nicely flat surface.

nbhs3.jpg

Doesnt it look great! Right at home sitting on an X-BOX controller (me and the wife were playing PSO 1&2 online for awhile) and looking fabulous! Ok lets take a look at the northbrige chip all cleaned up of the leftover TIM.

nbhs4.jpg

Kinda looks like a Pentium 3 if you ask me...one day I can imagine the Northbridge being a Pentium 4 while we are overclocking our P8's, lol. Ok well I threw the heatsink back onto the motherboard and fired her up. I wont really know the differences it has made until it really starts heating up here in Vegas but I feel much better having done it. Hope you enjoyed the write-up, special props out to Dave for the Lapping kit (this was my 2nd use with the same kit) as it does a fantastic job!

nbhs5.jpg

Cheers

AMD Phreak

Looks good! Keep us posted on the temps.

On another note: Are all of the NB chips on those boards made like that with the open die? That is pretty sweet IMO. Never have seen it like that before, but then again the only intels i have used are 200mhz pentiums and my old laptop.

N

nerdlogic

Great write-up! You lucky butt...you get to do all this stuff, and I can't even afford anything for my fan tests, yet. :(

OP
chasingapple

chasingapple

nerdlogic said:
Great write-up! You lucky butt...you get to do all this stuff, and I can't even afford anything for my fan tests, yet. :(

What do you mean fan tests? As for my lapping things it only cost me $10 from Dave and allowed me to lap the Intel HS and the NB HS...I believe the paper is still good for another major HS lapping :D

I still hate the motherboard, it reports completely wrong and I am dogging Abit at thier forums to get it fixed. 13c HIGHER on CPU and 33c HIGHER on Case temps, lol. Thank god I have a compunurse to tell me the truth :p

OP
chasingapple

chasingapple

I was thinking of starting my own website dedicated to Modding, Tweaking, and overclocking but I changed my mind...I like it here too much. Maybe one day they will bring me on board to do reviews and stuff for overclockers.com :D

N

nerdlogic

hehehehe...GL with that.

As for my fan tests...I'm planning on running some tests with my 92mm Tornado shrouded, an 80mm Tornado straight on & shrouded, lower-CFM 92mm & 80mm fans straight on & shrouded and see what temps I get.

Last edited:
OP
chasingapple

chasingapple

nerdlogic said:
hehehehe...GL with that.

As for my fan tests...I'm planning on running some tests with my 92mm Tornado shrouded, an 80mm Tornado straight on & shrouded, lower-CFM 92mm & 80mm fans straight on & shrouded and see what temps I get.

You might want to try it out with low cost parts first, a 1 Litre bottle of soda or 2 Litre bottle will make a perfect duct / shroud :D If it work out go with a permanent solution!

N

nerdlogic

hehehe...Actually, I was planning to use the housings from cheap fans to make the shrouds...they should suffice for my tests. It's just that I need to get an 80mm tornado, a lower-CFM 80mm fan, a cheap 80mm fan, a lower-CFM 92mm fan, and a cheap 92mm fan. They'll cost at least $20 altogether. However, once I do those tests, I can get around to doing my regular components cleaning and do a bit more wire clean-up to get some airflow for the 5.25" Drive Bays (currently running 30C when I'm damn sure the lower part of the case runs much cooler)
I don't think I'll need to change my NB cooling...if you've seen the pics from my guide, it shows that the 92mm Tornado reaches over the HS right where my NB fan is, adding all that much more airflow to it. :p

I might need it if I choose one of the other fans from my tests, though. :D

OP
chasingapple

chasingapple

I have done ALOT of ducting in the past, let me know if you need anything. Using fan casings doesnt work too well, too much turbulance is caused since it isnt a smooth inner wall. The preasure does way down. Try a 2 litre bottle, :)

N

nerdlogic

What do you mean turbulence??? Are you serious? well, I am going to be using tie wraps to hold it down to my SLK-800...hahahahaha...I can make a smoother inner wall...apply the same lapping procedure from the HS onto the plastic... :p
As far as pressure goes...wouldn't it go down just the same with any duct/shroud? A 2-Liter bottle may work with the 80mm Fan, but I'd need a 3-Liter bottle for the 92mm fan...

OP
chasingapple

chasingapple

A 2 litre bottle is good for a 92 or 120mm, a 1 litre for an 80mm. But 2 regular fans together and look at the inner wall...there are indents that you cant simply just file down or lap. Once air hits those it causes the air to rebound and turbulance is created ruining the preasure you need. You need a perfectly flat inner wall...maybe use duct tape or something to create a flat inner wall would work.

ARRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

N

nerdlogic

Oh I understand what you're saying now...Maybe a gasket of some sort would work.

OP
chasingapple

chasingapple

Right now im doing my 24/7 overclock of 150x18 = 2.7Ghz 31.6c Idle 41.8c Load and Case temp of 26-28c :) Rock solid stability since I did the NB heatsink lapping too! I remember my memory having issues at this speed but no problems now, worth every minute of the lap, hehe.

Cheers girl!