• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northwood 2.53 Overclocking Continued.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tikki50

Registered
Well my sp-94 (92mm tornado 119cfm LOUD) finally came in and I got everything all hooked up. I finally added some round IDE cables and added some fans for max cooling. My rig now overclocks nicely at 2.96 (fsb 624) max load 38 D. a major drop from 52 D. I also lapped my cpu which was surprisingly easy. That artic silver does take a few days to cure but it has dropped a few degrees over the last few days while doing so. I think I hit a brick wall on my OC ability. I can't seem to break the 3.0 mark. Any higher on the FSB will cause the cpu to NOT post in boot up. My volts are at 1.60 without any volt mod on the board (see below). I was wondering if upping the volts might hold the fsb higher. With the fluctuating volts from my mobo (no load to load) how high can I push the cpu voltage, higher than say 1.65v I know I shouldn't break 1.7 does that apply to idle volts or just load? Right now I get a fluctuation up to 1.66 while idle, which I think is alot.

Should I turn off turbo in bios?

Also, I have my memory setting set to auto which locks the memory and cpu to 1:1 should I set it to 5:4 if I could reach 166 on the FSB then 1:1 would be true but unlikely. Just looking for suggestions to try.

Now frustration sets in………….

Thanks

Last edited:
turn that turbo off to get better oc's

That 624 is your Bus Width, NOT FSB ! :D Your FSB seems to be 156 (624 / 4). I could run my old P4 2,53GHz (SL6S2) with SP-94 and NoiseBlocker 92x92mm 37CFm fan with 1.75Vcore and clocks 3060MHz. Was stable, but my PSU put me a wall so I sold my processor and bought Antec TruePower 550W and P4-C 3GHz.

It's also good to try that 5:4 too, cause your memory modules seems to be only PC2700.

1.75 volts didnt fry your cpu? Everything I read said not past 1.7. I will try truning off the turbo mode.

It's not recommended for 24/7 use vcore from anything above 1.75 and it will not fry your cpu, you just might notice S.N.D.S. :) That 1.75V is Intel's "rooftop" for the Pentium 4 processors.

You just have to test it by yourself what it takes and what it doesn't.

zebbo I noticed your ram is the same brand what timing did you get out of it? Im running 2.5-3-3-7 or 2.5-3-3-6.

Thanks I will try uping the vcore a bit more and see if it stablizes out. Right now if I bump it up anymore UT2004 crashes, strange. I also tried backing the ram timings down until I get a solid over clock I hate 2.5-4-4-8.

Thanks for the imput.

Back