• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northwood maximum effort=2.66 gig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can use the same mobo, Mr. Natural's 7E BIOS does supports the newer speeds. Well, let me clarify something, the new Northwoods due out later this summer are not truly a new stepping, but they will have a "optical" core reduction that should improve yields. The first ones out will just be the fastest CPUs, but they will follow with eventually producing all the speeds with the new core (except the 1.6a which Intel plans to drop from production).

batboy said:
I can use the same mobo, Mr. Natural's 7E BIOS does supports the newer speeds. Well, let me clarify something, the new Northwoods due out later this summer are not truly a new stepping, but they will have a "optical" core reduction that should improve yields. The first ones out will just be the fastest CPUs, but they will follow with eventually producing all the speeds with the new core (except the 1.6a which Intel plans to drop from production).
wonder why they are dropping the 1.6a's? i love those little chips.:D

Dropping the lower speed processors as the higher speed ones come on board is standard operating procedure for Intel. Besides, the 1.6a is in the Celeron P-4 speed range now, so it's got to go. The only reason they haven't dropped it before now is because they are selling them like hotcakes.

lol hot cakes nice analogy! so batboy do you think i should buy the th7 II or wait for a good 850E chipset motherboard to come out?

Good question. Sounds like Abit isn't in a big hurry to build a 850E mobo when their TH7-II works just fine and supports the "B" series Northwoods and PC1066 RDRAM. I also doubt anyone else will build a better 850E than the TH7-II, at least anytime soon. You can wait and see if you want, but if you can't wait, I'm sure you'll be happy with the current TH7-II.

Back