• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northwood overclocked with 133 mhz fsb = new intel przessor ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SaInTZeRo

Registered
Northwood overclocked with 133 mhz fsb = new intel prozessor?

Hope you know what I mean. Otherwise here is a longer and hopefully more accurate version of my question.
If I take one of the normal Northwood cpus with 100 mhz fsb and overclock the fsb to 133 mhz fsb, would the performance increase be about the level the knew intel with 133 mhz would have ???

I saw a benchmark on www.tomshardware.com of the 133mhz intel chip.

And one more question ... what about the RDRAM can it handle the higher fsb ?

Sorry for the bad english ... still learning.
SaInTZeRo

Last edited:

Enigma422

In one word, yes, but to make things more complicated :D you will need RDRAM that can run at PC1066 to get the performance that the people at Tom's Hardware are getting. Most double sided Samsung Original RDRAM modules with the right DRCG can do this.

Fluxer

Yea, I have double sided samsung rdram that can do 4x at 133fsb (533mhz) but I get rounding errors in prime 95. It depends if you get lucky I think. I probably just need more cooling though.

OP
S

SaInTZeRo

Registered
Ok ... I just read the article at tomshardware.com again. They say that they used Infineon ram for the test computers. So I went to infineon.com to check out their rdram. The features say:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Direct Rambus RIMM(TM) Modules
Densities 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB
Speed classes 800,600 MHz
Based on 128/144 Mbit RDRAM components
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If these rdrams can do 600 mhz I should be able to go up to 150 mhz fsb or do I miss something ???

Which other rams could I use ??? Anyone has some good experience with some modules ???

Thx SaInTZeRo

Enigma422

To raise your FSB to 150MHz and keep the 4x multiplier for your memory you will need to get some very good PC800 RDRAM. This is very hard to find with current yeilds. When you set your FSB to 150MHz and have a 4x setting for your memory speed your memory will be running at 1200MHz or PC1200 RDRAM. PC600 RDRAM is the slowest variety of RDRAM and should be avoided at all costs.