• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton Ghost Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sucka

Ok, just picked this up in hopes of getting an image done within an hour or 2. Well to my supprise, my 55GB worth of stuff would need roughly 35+ CD discs to backup fully. Is this right?!?! For the time it would take me to burn 35 discs i could reinstall windows 4-5 times....lol

Norton Ghost is primarily used to backup an image of the OS to a secondary HDD instead of CD media. When/if they start to support the current crop of DVDRW9-/+ backing up larger OS installations to DVDR/RW media will be an option. Backing up data with Norton Ghost shouldnt be your first choice.

If this weren't a laptop, that would be an option, but it only has 1 HDD. I guess i could do my System partition on only about 3 discs, but i was hoping to have the whole thing on about 5-6 discs max. Guess i didn't do my research on this software, don't think i'm gonna want 35+ discs hanging around.

I believe the latest version of the software supports Network connections which would allow you to backup on another machine/server.

I saw that, thanks. Just not what i had in mind, but that's ok...i get 70$ in rebates on this, so it was free anyways.

Sounds like your best bet might be to grab a cheap firewire external drive and ghost the whole machine to that.

Hi Sucka its seems like you've no detail idea abt the software when you intially getting it. Norton ghost is designed to make images with maxium 50% compression ration and if ya looking toward to burn them to cd then you'd look at your current data capacity and would have caluculated it earlier. BTW as most of the forum members have mention get a external storagee and make the backup for it. I know having laying around with more thna 30cd's will make you feel so bad :eh?:

Everyone just always talked about "ghost your machine, blah blah" like it was nothing. And the advertisment on the box was like "protect from theft, fire, ect" i just didn't assume the average home user would have multiple hard drives to backup to. So i was just mis-informed. I would have no problems if this was any of my PC's, but this is my notebook (60GB) so i need every bit of space, i can't spare 30GB for a backup, just insanity. Rather worthless to me actually now. I format my PC's every 2-3 months, just wanted a ghost of the lappy. At least i have the money coming back to me in rebates.

Sucka,

With that expensive system you have, I am sure you can spare another drive can you not?

With that, you have a DVD Burner? You can always make a back up image to another partiition to your drive, and burn it to a DVD or back it up to another location on the network.

Some people have a low power server dedicated for firewalls, ftp, mp3 server, web server and backups all into one.

Save some land fill space, and donate your old trusty rusty rig that you may have in the closet for some kind of use.

mtnbikerjerry said:
Sucka,

With that expensive system you have, I am sure you can spare another drive can you not?

With that, you have a DVD Burner? You can always make a back up image to another partiition to your drive, and burn it to a DVD or back it up to another location on the network.

Some people have a low power server dedicated for firewalls, ftp, mp3 server, web server and backups all into one.

Save some land fill space, and donate your old trusty rusty rig that you may have in the closet for some kind of use.

^^^ Read above post. I was looking for backup of a notebook, i've got more than enough room on other PC's to backup, but that wasn't my reason for purchase. I can't spare even 5GB on my notebook...

Sucka said:
^^^ Read above post. I was looking for backup of a notebook, i've got more than enough room on other PC's to backup, but that wasn't my reason for purchase. I can't spare even 5GB on my notebook...

Oh man. Thats too bad but good that you can back up over to a network if you can figure it out. With Norton Ghost when you set it up, there are options to allow for the next time you boot up in the Norton Ghost DOS mode, thus allowing you to back up over the network.

J

I use ghost all the time on about 250-500 machines... setting up a remote client dump/load is really easy... if you are willing I can show you...

dark_15 said:
I use ghost all the time on about 250-500 machines... setting up a remote client dump/load is really easy... if you are willing I can show you...

For sure, you have a chat client we could communicate through? I would love to put it on my server. Thanks.

Back