• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not Mercury - But Flourinert by 3M. Extreme coolage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaM

hey...

My dads currently the president of an Environment Test Chamber company, and as we were talking about water cooling, he told me about a liquid that is quite bountiful around their company - called "Flourinert". Its made by 3M, and runs at 500 bucks per gallon. The company uses it for their chambers for cooling.

I was thinking about him getting some for me, and putting this into my water cooling system (to be installed soon). You can completely submerge any electronics into the stuff - so its safe to all things in a computer. and its also non-conductive. It has the same viscosity/density (whatever) as water, so there would be no need to get a new pump, as said in a previous post with the use of mercury.

Have any of you heard of this stuff? I think it would be a supreme coolant, better than water. Im not sure how much better it is than water, but if these large Test chambers use them, 3M makes it for top dollar, and intel buys some of this stuff through my dad's company, it must be good. Any thoughts of this stuff?

Thanks

Matt

sounds pretty awesome ham. I think that would be great to try. Speaking of which what did you decide on for components for your system. I remember a post about ideas for a system.

Ferg (Jul 15, 2001 08:52 p.m.):
sounds pretty awesome ham. I think that would be great to try. Speaking of which what did you decide on for components for your system. I remember a post about ideas for a system.

Oh hey Ferg =D I decided to go with this so far...
AMD 1.4 ghz T-bird
Epox EP-8k7a+ w/ Raid
256 mb Corsair PC-2400 DDR Ram
Enermax EG465P-VE(FC) 431 Watt PSU
IBM 60 gxp 40GB Hard drive
Evga GeForce 2 Ultra (Looked at GeForce 3, but too much $$$)
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Floppy
Inwin Q500 Full Tower Case
Viewsonic GS790 19" montor.
All the other stuff that i didnt list - I have. I have a Glaciator, and am making a custom water cooling unit.

Once again, thank you so much Ferg.

looks like your gonna have one badass system. I wish i had something like that, not that what i have sucks or anything. The full tower case is a good decision if your going with water cooling, especially that badass flor-a-whatsit stuff.

Thats the stuff the guys used when they Liquid Nitro cooled their system and used that as the replacement for water in their pumping system. So its been done before, except with them, it turned to sludge because of the nitro cooling it close to its freezing point. Dont know how well it works, all I know is that it has a low freezing point and thats why they used it.

Yup. Only problems you have to look out for is if you cool the bejesus out of your computer, be careful. Any liquid filled pieces i.e. capacitors, batteries, and such will burst. And for god's sake, DON'T PUT YOUR DRIVES IN THE FLOURINERT.

Back