• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

not much better than stock...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninety-9 SE-L

I got my Vantec CPU cooler in and installed it with some Geil Thermal paste. I haven't put any load on the CPU (b/c the computer freezes up under load...working out this problem now), but my idle temp didn't change at all from the stock Intel Cooler+fan.

My Case Temp is between 30 and 31*, the CPU is 41-42* at idle and no OC. I installed the vantec aeroflow on the CPU and I'm still running the same numbers. My CPU may go down to 40* but not often, I'd like to see under 30*

I have 3 80mm LED fans. I picked 80 fans with the best flow I could find. I think they're like 35 or 38 CFM or something each. 2 are pulling the hot air out through the back, one is pushing cold air right onto the CPU/memory.

Vio1

You might want to change the Geil thermal paste for some As5. Also lots of alternative cpu coolers suck, ( i dont know much about vantec's cpu cooler) so you might have just gotten a crappy heatsink.

Also, was wondering, how much thermal paste did you put on?

Yuriman

Most coolers are about the same when it comes to idle cpu's, or very close. Its at load that they make a difference. For instance, if your heatsink got 40c idle and 55c load, would a cooler thay gets 40/45 be much better? Also, I seriously you will get your cpu temps below the air around it.

OP
Ninety-9 SE-L

Ninety-9 SE-L

The Vantec Aeroflow (the original one, not Aeroflow2), was rated by OC.com to be as good as the Zalman 7000cu. The only reason I'm not using the Zalman is b/c it won't fit my board with the chipset cooler next to it. What are the specs of the As5 thermal paste? The Geil stuff looks pretty good from what I can see.

sp00L

Nothing beats AS5. Period. Forget the specs. Also, if you're planning on oc'ing that 3.2, it gets HOT. An aeroflow will be good for stock, but not much else. I'd suggest something beafier from Thermalright.

OP
Ninety-9 SE-L

Ninety-9 SE-L

I still think the one I got is a good one. It's in the top 10 of overclockers.com and the thermalright ones are supposed to be LOUD.

Yuriman

Thermalright heatsinks are not loud because they do not come with fans. They are as loud as you make them. Personly, I usualy slap a 20db 80mm case fan on, as I have a lot of those and a lot of thermalright heatsinks. With a 25cfm-ish fan on a mobile [email protected] I got 52c full load(slk-947). The cpu never saw idle, so I couldnt tell you what that was.