• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not really best bang for buck...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rassler

Ok i have officially got on board with everyone else. I won a pair of the HKB4,s last night for only $36, $57 shipped. Thats pretty good i think. I will either get another set of those or a set of the HKB6's, depending on which i can get for cheaper. So hear is where i need some help from you guys. I still need a center, reciever, and subwoofer to complete the system. I have been reading this section and have seen plenty of recommendations from you guys, but... I want to try to keep this under $450.00 if possible. So instead of "best bang for buck" which can get expensive sometimes, can you guys give me some ideas on stuff that is kind of "best in price range." Like can i just go to best buy and get a $100 sony subwoofer, or will it just ruin the quality of the HKB's. I just want "good enough." Please help, thanks.

Edit: just picked up my 2nd set of HKB4's for $54 shipped!! :clap:
So that leaves about $340 for the center/receiver/sub. Please help me!!

Last edited:

stratcatprowlin

I think HT sounds best with all the speakers matched.So if you went that route,you would only have to buy another 3 hkb4's.Using one as the center speaker.Then all ya need is a reciever and sub.

OP
rassler

rassler

How important is the center speaker really? Is it a noticible difference from 4.1 to 5.1? Would i be better off spending my money on just the sub and receiver and forget the center speaker, because that is what i am thinking of doing right now!?

EDIT: Here is what i am considering right now. If i do this i will probabely get the 10" Velodyne because the HKB4's sound like they are lacking in bass as compared to the HKB6's which most of you guys have. So ill get the larger sub to make up for it. Does that sound good to you guys?

Your Shopping Cart
Product Price Quantity **

Yamaha HTR-5730SL 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Silver)
$164.95

Velodyne CHT-8 8" Subwoofer
$149.99

Velodyne CHT-10 10" Subwoofer
$189.95

Last edited:

stratcatprowlin

Well imo the center speaker in 5.1 sound is very important.Get the best speakers you can first and the electronics second.I think you would like 5.1 better than 4.1 so I recommend the center speaker.

Azzkiller

rassler said:
How important is the center speaker really? Is it a noticible difference from 4.1 to 5.1? Would i be better off spending my money on just the sub and receiver and forget the center speaker, because that is what i am thinking of doing right now!?
I personally dont think a center channel is necessary in many cases. If you sit on axis with the display monitor and in the center of the two stereo speakers, the dialoge should be perfectly anchored to the screen, and in the center if you leave the transducers in the speakers on the same vertical axis as your display device. A center channel cannot be placed in the center of the screen (unless you have a front projector with an acoustically transparent screen) so the dialog cant be made to sound directly from the center of the screen. Another problem is getting the L,R,C all on the same vertical axis which is pretty important.

However, if you have a bunch of people watching, the people who arent driectly on axis with the screen will have the dialog seeming to eminate from the right or left of the screen, which isnt optimal. You can also get higher sound pressure levels with 3 speakers rather than 2.

Its really tradeoffs in either case.

EDIT: Here is what i am considering right now. If i do this i will probabely get the 10" Velodyne because the HKB4's sound like they are lacking in bass as compared to the HKB6's which most of you guys have. So ill get the larger sub to make up for it. Does that sound good to you guys?

Your Shopping Cart
Product Price Quantity **

Yamaha HTR-5730SL 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Silver)
$164.95

Velodyne CHT-8 8" Subwoofer
$149.99

Velodyne CHT-10 10" Subwoofer
$189.95

I would go for the 10". I think Maxvla can vouch for it ;)

Why not get a pair of HK6's for the fronts and use the HK4's in the rear?

That Yamaha reciever sounds good too.

OP
rassler

rassler

Well here is the update: I have 2 sets of the HKB4's and one of the Harman Kardon Home Theater Center speakers, all shipped for $207. I am pretty sure I am going to go with the 8" sub, unless someone really gives me a good reason not to. The yamaha receiver is my first choice right now but i am looking for recomendations of (quality/easy to use and set up) alternatives for under like $160 or so. Thanks

Maxvla

its well worth the extra money for the 10" velodyne. personally i wouldn't even consider a sub for HT use if it was less than 10 inches.

Buhammot

Well, speaking on the budget end of the table here, I have the sony 8" 100w sub, and it seems to work good enough for me. Besides, I use the sound setup to "create LFE channel" with my crossover at 175hz, since it sounds best to me. I know I would be much better off if I had some 3 way front and rear speakers, and like a 12" sub for anything under say 100hz or maybe a little lower, but for the price I paid, my lil system is cheap, but still well within decent limits. The 4" fronts (KLH) that I have kinda suck considering, but its what I have now.

And I think that a smaller diameter sub would better fill in the mid ranges that the other speakers may be lacking, moreso than a larger one. But thats my opinion, and my setup.

stratcatprowlin

I had an 8" sub with my Logitechs a while back and as long as I wasnt really crankin it,I found it do be really good.

At the same time though.Once you have tasted the good stuff you cant see yourself goin back sometimes.

Azzkiller

Buhammot said:
And I think that a smaller diameter sub would better fill in the mid ranges that the other speakers may be lacking, moreso than a larger one. But thats my opinion, and my setup.

Even to 175hz a 15" or 18" woofer can play cleanly. The cone area or diameter is not the factor in limiting the speakers response at these frequencies.

You have to go much higher in frequency, or use a much larger diameter cone before the size becomes an issue.

DaFonz

Azzkiller said:
Even to 175hz a 15" or 18" woofer can play cleanly. The cone area or diameter is not the factor in limiting the speakers response at these frequencies.

You have to go much higher in frequency, or use a much larger diameter cone before the size becomes an issue.

The problem with going over 80hz is that the sound then becomes much more directional. There is a reason that THX specifies a crossover of 80 hz. :)

rassler: Check out ecost for cheap recievers. Also don't rule out the possibility of using 2 bookshelves for a center channel... they sound great.. but have space constraints...

stratcatprowlin

DaFonz said:
The problem with going over 80hz is that the sound then becomes much more directional. There is a reason that THX specifies a crossover of 80 hz. :)

Azzkiller was not recommending setting the sub's crossover over 80 hz.
He was making a point that driver size is not an issue with being able to
Cleanly produce frequencies up to 175 hz.

Azzkiller

DaFonz said:

The LFE channel typically has bandwidth to 150hz IIRC on a DD recording. The sound does not all of a sudden become more directional after 80hz, it is directly proportional to increasing frequency. One could crossover at even 40hz and still have localization problems due to a shallow slope, room modes, seating position or other reasons.

As stratcatprowlin said, the point I was trying to make was not about the crossover frequency, but the relationship between frequency response and driver diaphram diameter. Large diameter woofers do not sound 'slow' and small diameter woofers do not sound 'tight'