• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not saving on shutdowns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkDraco

Ive been having a wierd problem that recently started happening. After a shutdown, the computer doesnt seem to save the configs of most programs.

Examples:
1.After a restart, when i run AIM, i get a message from Dead AIM saying i need to reenter my email and serial key for the program. I constantly have to keep entering it in after a reboot.

2.After a restart, my volume is always on loud! i use the volume on my keyboard and it wont save last position anymore. Its always on max when the computer boots into windows.

Those are some of the things that dont save =/

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Assuming you're running XP...Windows remembers 400 folder settings, and as soon as that number is reached things start to go wrong. You can change this to 4000 by adding this edit to the Registry...

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

Save Settings on Exit: (Line 54)

Save the above *.reg files to your HDD, and double-click each one (or right click each, and select "Merge") to merge them into the Registry. If you'd like to see what's contained within each Registry file, right click each and select "Edit" (this opens the file in Notepad for viewing). You may also want to export the Keys that will be edited by the merged *.reg files...just in case the Keys need to be restored to their pre-edited condition. :)