• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Note to self... CHECK TEMPS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK well i just had a pretty good scare with regards to my server thats on 24/7....

its a P4 2.8C northwood on a gigabyte board (undervolted cpu to 1.3v) with 1gb of ram... the case has a rear 92mm at 5v, the psu i put in a adda low speed 80mm fan that runs @ 5.5v normally, the front intake is an antec tricool 120mm, i feed it 5V and have the speed switch set to medium (it barly starts up) and the cpu fan is the stock hs using a 120 to 80mm converter with another antec tri cool... this time being fed 7v with the switch on medium.... needless tosay the case dose not have tons of flow to begin with.

About 17 days ago i turned it off and blew the dust out of it, i also decided to remove the cpu fan and reroute the fan wires... so i get it back together and turn it on with the side open to make sure all the fans are spinning... all are so i closed her up and havnt payed much attention to it for 17 days....

Then bout 30 min ago i decided hmm lets check temps see how they r doing... cpu read 48*C... and the motherboard reads 20-25*C low :eek::eek::eek: so i quickly got the skrewdriver and took the side pannel off and lo and behold... cpu fan and rear exaust were not spinning (rear 92 has a 4pin molex passthrough that goes to the cpu fan 4pin) i was like... WTF they r plugged in but turns out the plug came loose and had a bad connection... so i forceably put them back together and they r spinnin now...

gah i just cant believe id let my self not check temps, it says something for the cpu... chillin at probably right at its thermal spec of 75*C idiling (less than 10% cpu usage) for who knows how long.. :bang head:bang head:bang head

im just glad everything is alright...

Moral to the story... check temps on ur servers that just sit in the corner! give them their needed attention.

BTW cpu temps are back down to their normal range of 24-28*C

So I'm not the only one with a ridiculously high temp Prescott. I used to think it was due to poor cooling conditions cause she always idled around 70C.

The chip performed at 95C without throttling?

so no hardware destruction thread goodness?

oh well...

My p4 prescott used to get up to 95*C on startup :eek::mad:

I noticed my room heating up quite well... it was the middle of summer in an air conditioned room....

Prescott's are known for their heat output

once i noticed the 95C on startup... i shut it down and bought a water cooling kit (should have done more research first) but now it is at 3.8 stable on stock volts @ 30.7 as I am typing this

I had a similar scare with one of my cheapo Dell Optiplex folding/crunching machines last year. I opened the lid for some reason, probably to marvel at its beauty, and noticed that the PSU fan (also the only fan in the system besides the CPU fan) was not spinning. I pulled out the power cord, grabbed the compressed air can, and used the nozzle straw to try to manually turn the fan. It felt pretty gunked up. I blew out some of the dust, and sprayed a bunch of WD40 through the fan, powered the sucker back up and watched the fan SLOWLY come back to life. She still runs fine.

In another one of these systems I had opened the case shortly after buying the system to replace the stock Coppermine 1 GHz processor with a Tualatin 1.26 GHz. In so doing I failed to realize that I had accidentally pulled the CPU fan header (the piece on the motherboard) slightly out of the motherboard. Upon boot the BIOS informed me that the CPU fan wasn't spinning, but I ignored the error message. :eek: I ran it for about a half an hour until I decided to open the lid and noticed the CPU fan not spinning. The heatsink was roasting. I let it cool down for about 30 minutes or so and then pushed the fan header back into the motherboard and started it back up. It's ran fine ever since, and even when the CPU fan wasn't spinning it was still running fine. I guess it's a testament to these old Dells and old Pentiums, they haven't died yet due to my neglect/carelessness. :)

ya it was bad... when i get home today im fully fixing the problem by hardwireing the fan to the psu leads... non of this craptastic 4pin molex connections.

the bad thing was is the fact that the cpu fan cools not only the cpu but also the passivly cooled chipset (865 chipset with zalman hs on it) and when i opened her up the cpu hs burnt me as well as the chipset hs......

See this is why I use LOUD fans!

I can instantly tell if a fan is off just by the difference in both volume and tone!

/I cant hear for crap anymore but there are always tradeoffs!

So now that you are deaf, how do you hear whether or not the fans are working :confused:

hehe, sorry for being cheeky - I am deaf from tornado fans anyway...

I don't like PC's that you have to check for lights to determine whether or not it is on because it's so darn quiet

i hate loud pc's with a passion... hell i suspended the hd thats in it... and its arguably the quietest 3.5in hd ever made... Seagate Barraucda IV

suspended.JPG

the side reason why its quiet is cus i have to hide it... cus my dad difinetly would not approve of running a computer 24/7

Back