• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notebook hdd upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chevro1et

Since mass storage is getting so cheap, I have decided to change out the hdd in my Dell (in sig). Gonna get a 500gb drive, and have just started looking at reviews. Since I live in Korea, options are somewhat limited (go figure :rolleyes: ). HERE is a link to a Korean online shopping page that I will likely purchase from. Based on the models listed there, what do you think is my best bet? The 7200rpm Seagate Momentus is not an option, out of price range. Any known problems with any of the specific models listed? TIA.

OP
chevro1et

chevro1et

Price is ~$100 (roughly 100 000 Korean won). The 7200rpm Seagate is ~$180 which falls well outside the budget for this upgrade. The WD Scorpio Blue 500gb seems to have some good online reviews, and falls in the budget. Any other thoughts/ opinions?

EDIT: sorry the link in the first post doesn't recognize the checkbox for 6.4cm (2.5") drives, or for 500gb capacity. Basically, what I have to choose from are:

Seagate 500GB Momentus 5400.6 ST9500325AS
WD 500GB Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT
삼성 (Samsung) 500GB Spinpoint M7 HM500JI/DOM
Fujitsu 500GB MJA2500BH
Hitachi 500GB Travelstar 5K500.B
Hitachi 500GB Travelstar 5K320

Last edited:

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
I say WD Scorpio Blue for a 500GB drive. WD Scorpio Black would be faster, but it's only 320GB...

OP
chevro1et

chevro1et

Thanks MattNo5ss, thats kinda the conclusion I have come to as well. Speed isn't really a major factor for me, not doing any serious amounts of crunching or encoding. Looking for storage space and reliability.

jgv115

Speed of hard drive is actually quite important. Even if you are just the normal bloke (like me for example). It speeds up your system generally and everything seems snappier.

OP
chevro1et

chevro1et

Speed of hard drive is actually quite important. Even if you are just the normal bloke (like me for example). It speeds up your system generally and everything seems snappier.
Agreed. I am well aware of that fact. My point was that I don't need the 7200rpm model as I am not doing any serious crunching/ encoding. The reviews that I have read on the Scorpio Blue put it near the top of its class for read/ write/ seek times. And i am pretty certain that any new hdd is gonna be faster than the 3-yr old one I have in my lappy now. ;)

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Scorpio blues are great drives - I dropped a 320GB in my unibody macbook and it has performed very well, and it's silent. I'm also preparing to drop a 500GB scorpio blue into my PS3 slim as soon as it arrives.
Do you have an APO address, or are you a Korean resident? Just wasn't clear on that..

OP
chevro1et

chevro1et

Scorpio blues are great drives - I dropped a 320GB in my unibody macbook and it has performed very well, and it's silent. I'm also preparing to drop a 500GB scorpio blue into my PS3 slim as soon as it arrives.
Do you have an APO address, or are you a Korean resident? Just wasn't clear on that..
I am a Canadian civilian teaching English here in Korea. Will buy the drive through a local online hardware dealer. Price with shipping for the 500gb Scorpio Blue comes to $89 CAD or $83 USD. Helluva deal imo.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
yep, get the 500GB scorpio blue. You'll be happy with it. Just picked mine up from the post office about an hour ago, so it'll be going in my PS3 over the weekend.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
I'm pretty sure that can be done. I don't think it's quite as easy as the PS3, but I know I've seen some articles where folks have swapped the drive to a larger one.