• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notfred fans- take notice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
FredNotFred VM for -bigadv units [beta]

fredfoobar is looking for testers for this beta version, for running in a VM(VMplayer). A bootable .ISO can be [theoretically] be made, but from an existing VMplayer install, from the .vmdk file.

Definitely still a work-in-progress, but worth keeping an eye on; I've been pondering this very possibility for a while, looks like I wasn't alone. ;)

edit: I'm not sure who "fredfoobar" is, I had thought it might just be an alias for "notfred", but I'm beginning to have doubts. I'm going to seek some comment from notfred on this.

Last edited:

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
I don't know who that is ihrsetrdr, but it's not, notfred............

I just want to network boot & fold these -bigadv wu's diskless style :cry:

Please for the love of everything holy, someone hook a folding brotha up.........

OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I don't know who that is ihrsetrdr, but it's not, notfred............

I just want to network boot & fold these -bigadv wu's diskless style :cry:

Please for the love of everything holy, someone hook a folding brotha up.........

I PM'd notfred on TR forums, he wasn't aware of fredfoobar or his efforts, but is interested and glad that someone else has the opportunity to do some development.

I can't help ya bro with the network boot, I've been interested but never made the effort...:shrug:

DRBL

ChasR

VMware applications are going to be passe for folding soon enough. The Win SMP2 client is significantly faster and -bigadv will be on it shortly. Imagine going from 4 GB of ram useage to 160 MB!

torin3

VMware applications are going to be passe for folding soon enough. The Win SMP2 client is significantly faster and -bigadv will be on it shortly. Imagine going from 4 GB of ram useage to 160 MB!

That just saved me about $80-100 in planned RAM purchases.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11

Not soon enough for me..........The ram usage is good news for sure but that doesn't change the needed hard drives / OS & KVM........ None of which i needed using notfred's setup for the last few years.

I've already had to molest my main machine to get enough hard drives to run the last little while.....

OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I'm off work for the next few days, so I'm getting started with the FredNotFred's setup. I wanted a live .iso and did not want to run a VM, but I had to first set up on a VM and start FNF so I could configure and download an .iso. I burned it, and booted an i7 machine with it; all went well, except that it drew a regular SMP unit. I dropped the advmethods flag during reconfig, as it was my understanding that it would chase away the "bigadv" units...

Eventually I'd like to put this on a USB stick, and make it with a persistent directory.