• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notfred's VM Appliance + VMWare Player Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Peddler... just so you're aware, this guide has been linked from the Intro and FAQ stickies now. I will continue to maintain the links directly to this thread so you can make updates at your leisure. :)

Uh, yeah dude... I have no idea... I haven't looked at the file system. I just know it's 'a growin'! :D

If anybody starts seeing any problems with this, please post here. As far as I can tell, other than using up 1GB for the disk and 1GB for the .vmem file it doesn't affect anything. It's also possible to to run a diskless folder in a VM and have it save to a USB drive or TFTP server. I can do a guide for that too, but they seem less convenient. I'm not sure how reliably saving to USB from a VM can be reproduced, either. Works on mine, might not work on anybody elses :(

im trying to setup his usb client but when i do syslinux in command prompt it tells me its "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"

Did you download the (syslinux )one for Windows or Linux

Had trouble myself when first started using too,, One you can configure in Windows cmd the Other you configure in Linux.

So I just Used the Diskless CD and allow to install to USB then it puts the correct files there.

I lost acces to the c on samba dir after a power outage last night.

How do I gain it back? My PC is to dumb to know I am the administrator.

I got tired of googling it

c-onsamba.jpg

Attachments

• c-onsamba.jpg
    c-onsamba.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 236
I've had that happen when something with greater priority is taking up a lot of CPU. There could also be problems with your firewall trying to get to that network. Did it get up on the internet and download the core and everything? If it's running and you can see it in the VMWare Player window, try pinging it. If that doesn't work, my guess is it's something with your firewall or networking.

Can you get to the webpage administration in your browser?

http://Fold-f88e

Is there more to that H? It auto completes a ".com"

Can you see your notfreds VM[to confirm that it's running] through your web browser? You might have to edit your smb.conf, here's some general information:
The VM can not start Tim...Access is denied.

I've had that happen when something with greater priority is taking up a lot of CPU. There could also be problems with your firewall trying to get to that network. Did it get up on the internet and download the core and everything? If it's running and you can see it in the VMWare Player window, try pinging it. If that doesn't work, my guess is it's something with your firewall or networking.
It just happenned with this power outage. The folder can not be opened when I click on it.

You know what guys I need make sure firewalls on all machines are allowing this don't I? One of my c on Samba opens fine the other is locked out.
I put up a new firewall on the downstairs PC and that may be the problem.

Last edited:
Ok now I got it.If the VMware is not running then its like this folder can not exist right.

The path doesn't know what computer it's on

So my problem lies in why the VM won't run....and since I have 3 of them, I must be choosing to run the wrong one. Does that make sense?

How do I remove the extra ones?

Dave, I don't recall what kind of setup you have, but I'm wondering: do you have physical access to the machine in question? Or, is it headless?

Yeah Tim Its the first rig in sig with the Quad

I tried running 2 instances of norfreds but the rig became uselless so I went back to one.(That was last week)

I have three virtual machines available in the VM Player The one I want is C\Program files\FoldingVM\folding.vmx

The second one I accidently named the same...but it renamed itself C\Program files\FoldingVM2\folding.vmx

Thinking I could delete that one, I named a third one Folding@Home2. So it would stand out in the player and I wouldn't hit the wrong one by mistake.

Then I couldn't delete them so I left them and just used the one with the original name.

This morning(and it was 4:30 am and no coffee) I accidentally opened the second one(FoldingVM2)while I was rushing around trying to get everything running again after my power outage. (The dead PS3 Is a story in ts own):eek:

I guess by opening the wrong VM in vmplayer I screwed up and started this odd chain of events.... things were fine previously.

I think I may have to clean out everything and take the loss and start from scratch.

Its been a full day:beer:

Stopped for a new Cognac bottle in case I needed some.:D

The Cognac will help...it always does.:beer:

Rebooted and I think I have the right vm working can not acess the folder but I'll let it go for a while and see. Not being able to monitor it for now is no biggy.

PS3 waited till last....If anyone needs to get to the boot menu on a PS3 Hold the power button down for 10sec 3 times. When it beeps 2 times let it go and you will get the boot menu(Or whatever they call it)

It started back up and is folding away.:thup:

Cheers-to-T32.jpg

Attachments

• Cheers-to-T32.jpg
    Cheers-to-T32.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
I'm running the VMware Player and NotFred's on my E6750 rig in my sig. It keeps crashing, saying that it has run out of memory. Each time it does this, I shutdown the VMP and restart it, and it will run fine for maybe a day or two before it crashes again. Any ideas on what is causing this? I'm currently running Vista 32bit on that rig.

Back