• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notfred's VM Appliance + VMWare Player Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
guys btw, I keep getting this error after running the vms for a while: "hda1: rw=1, want=xxxx, limix=xxxx, attempt to access beyond end of device"
it seems to continue working like normal, but Im a bit curious :)

guys btw, I keep getting this error after running the vms for a while: "hda1: rw=1, want=xxxx, limix=xxxx, attempt to access beyond end of device"
it seems to continue working like normal, but Im a bit curious :)

You can ignore that. Check your PPD though. Some people say it drops when it starts doing that. I haven't experienced it. It's thought to be a bad partition on the virtual disk. notfred knows about it and might be working on a fix.

You can ignore that. Check your PPD though. Some people say it drops when it starts doing that. I haven't experienced it. It's thought to be a bad partition on the virtual disk. notfred knows about it and might be working on a fix.

its confusing, not always, but sometimes it switches from "smp gromacs cvs" to "smp gromacs" about 1k ppd less :(
today one actually crashed all together due to same problem, and at 70% :( gave error cant write to disk

its confusing, not always, but sometimes it switches from "smp gromacs cvs" to "smp gromacs" about 1k ppd less :(
today one actually crashed all together due to same problem, and at 70% :( gave error cant write to disk

That's the way it is with the cores. Everybody likes the a2 (CVS cores) cause they give better PPD, but you get what Stanford decides you get.

It crashed at 70%? Was it an out of RAM error?

That's the way it is with the cores. Everybody likes the a2 (CVS cores) cause they give better PPD, but you get what Stanford decides you get.

It crashed at 70%? Was it an out of RAM error?

tru, tru :)

yeah :( nah said something about not being able to write to disk, had to restart the vm, it said no fah present, has to redownload and restarted from 0%

right now two of them are acting weird, giving me "writing local files" at each % and going a bit on the slow side, that something normal or are they messed up again ?

tru, tru :)

yeah :( nah said something about not being able to write to disk, had to restart the vm, it said no fah present, has to redownload and restarted from 0%

right now two of them are acting weird, giving me "writing local files" at each % and going a bit on the slow side, that something normal or are they messed up again ?

Hrmm. It seems like I've seen people mention that before, but I've never seen a fix or anything. I've never had a problem with it not restoring a backup or anything.

Maybe try running as administrator? I really have no idea what that could fix, but I know mine won't run as a regular user (anymore). Not sure why that is, either.

Hrmm. It seems like I've seen people mention that before, but I've never seen a fix or anything. I've never had a problem with it not restoring a backup or anything.

Maybe try running as administrator? I really have no idea what that could fix, but I know mine won't run as a regular user (anymore). Not sure why that is, either.

well dunno .. 2 out 3 are now doing this and its bugging me a bit, but guess as long as they dont fail

yep, running under admin user

btw just read your notes in the updated ver, you know maybe it was ram related, I do only have 2gb :( and running two of these since its a quad
think the ram settings are on stock, should I set em up to 1024ea or something ?

Thanks
Dan

btw just read your notes in the updated ver, you know maybe it was ram related, I do only have 2gb :( and running two of these since its a quad
think the ram settings are on stock, should I set em up to 1024ea or something ?

Thanks
Dan

I doubt it'll hurt. Like I mentioned in the updated original post, bumping up the RAM on my system only seems to increase the file size limit of the .vmem file in the folding directory. I'm not exactly sure how VMWare Player handles RAM. Right now it seems that it mostly uses a page file. Worst case scenario, I guess is that you start swapping too much and have to move it back down.

Does anybody have any insight as to how VMWare Player handles RAM and what this .vmem file is?

I doubt it'll hurt. Like I mentioned in the updated original post, bumping up the RAM on my system only seems to increase the file size limit of the .vmem file in the folding directory. I'm not exactly sure how VMWare Player handles RAM. Right now it seems that it mostly uses a page file. Worst case scenario, I guess is that you start swapping too much and have to move it back down.

Does anybody have any insight as to how VMWare Player handles RAM and what this .vmem file is?

I shall give it a try :)

it is a curiosity indeed, Ive noticed the pagefile it creates, but Ive also noticed it uses up a decent amount of real ram (based on taskmgr)

I shall give it a try :)

it is a curiosity indeed, Ive noticed the pagefile it creates, but Ive also noticed it uses up a decent amount of real ram (based on taskmgr)

Erm, we're supposed to be looking at Working Set for RAM, right? Mine use about 350MB each and don't seem to go up when I change the RAM allocation. It's been a while since I've actually been tight on RAM and had to figure out what was using up a bunch ;)

Edit: I turned on the column for Peak Working Set and saw that they had, at one point gotten up to 860MB. I don't think this would be a problem though, as long as it's not using that much ALL the time. Even if it was, I'm not sure it'd be much of a problem (does f@h need/benefit from fast(er) RAM?), except maybe with excessive disk usage.

Last edited:
set it manually to 1024 on all 3 clients, didnt seem to help :(, it looks like its the smp gromacs core more than anything else, 3 times it crashed now :( as soon as it switches to the smp gromacs cvs core all is well :confused:

For some reason I cannot get FAHMON to pick up my VM client. I am running VM on the same pc as FAHMON. I tried the ip and the host name like the guide suggests, but both ways just leave me with a grayed out client.

use fahmon to 'browse' for the files on your network, select the machine that is obviously the vm, and then find the directory on it. I'll post where mine was located when I get home and get a chance to see it

For some reason I cannot get FAHMON to pick up my VM client. I am running VM on the same pc as FAHMON. I tried the ip and the host name like the guide suggests, but both ways just leave me with a grayed out client.

did you enter IP and "\c\etc\folding\1\" I know I forgot that part the first time :)

What is the path supposed to be? And the guides we have are very very vague.

Example, the gpu2 guide is only for xp but it does not say that anywhere in the guide.

\\192.168.xxx.xxx\c\etc\folding\1 depending on what the VM picked up, you can see that when it is booting
its the location of the fah client within the linux vm

See in my vm window while I am folding all I see is "Login as root with no password"
I can't scroll up or down in the vm player window.

Therefore I cannot see any path in my vm player window. I know how to access the configuration via the ip and I did that in order to set it up to fold under my name.

See in my vm window while I am folding all I see is "Login as root with no password"
I can't scroll up or down in the vm player window.

Therefore I cannot see any path in my vm player window. I know how to access the configuration via the ip and I did that in order to set it up to fold under my name.

restart it (make sure vmp settings are set to shut down machine), then watch the screen while its loading, it'll pause for a lil bit while booting and you can see the IP, the rest of the path is static

D

Back