• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice Nimble #7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
And here we go again. The Novice Nimble #6 has opened and it is time for us to start planning and scheming. For those of you that missed the last Novice Nimble we were able to finish up in 5th place after a late start and some disorganization. Hopefully with a little more time and planning this time we will be able to crack the top 3 this time. If you are interested in competing please join in the discussion of this thread and read the linked rule page below to understand how the entries/scoring work.

Thanks again to everyone who participated. Hope to see everyone back in a few weeks for the next Novice Nimble.

Final team rank: 3rd place
Competition Closed

Final results article - http://oc-esports.io/#!/article/3465/overclock.net_win_novice_nimble_7_(again)

Novice Nimble #7
Overview Page - http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_7

Rules Page - http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_7/rules

Stage #1 - XTU (Intel processor) - http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_7/2664/xtu_(intel)

Final rank - 3rd place

Swarthack - I7-6700k - 1460 marks
Lochekey - I5-4690k - 1105 marks

Stage #2 - HWBOT Prime (AMD processor) - http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_7/2665/hwbot_prime_(amd)

Final Rank 2nd place

LRG5 - FX-9590 - 7041.24 pps
TuKr - FX-8370 - 6894.46 pps
Swarthack - athalon 64 - 1493.66 pps

Stage #3 - 3DMark1 Physics (Open Hardware) - http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_7/2666/3dmark11_physics

Final Rank 5th place

Swarthack - I7-6700k - 14327 points
Lochekey - G3258 - 5111 points

Stage #4 - 3D Mark Skydiver (Nvidia GPU) - http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_7/2667/3dmark_sky_diver_(nvidia)

Final Rank 3rd place

Swarthack - GTX980ti - 39061 marks
Lochekey - GTX650ti - 13978 marks

Stage #5 - Catzilla 720 (AMD GPU) - http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_7/2668/catzilla_720_(amd)

Final rank 4th place

Tukr - R9-380x - 16111 marks
Lochekey - HD-7970 - 16639 marks
Swarthack - R7-360 - 2648 marks

Last edited:
OP
Lochekey

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Please use this format for showing hardware you are interested in competing with.

Stage 1 -
I5 4690k
G3258

Stage 2 -
Sempron 140

Stage 3 -
I5 4690k
G3259
I7 860
I3 530

Stage 4 -
Gtx 960
Gt 740

Stage 5 -
HD7970 (on the way)

Last edited:

LRG5

Lochekey you can me in, I think stage 2 and 3, would work best me. Do I post here first to let team it check out ?

OP
Lochekey

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Lochekey you can me in, I think stage 2 and 3, would work best me. Do I post here first to let team it check out ?

Hey,

Glad to have you back. Let's follow the same format as we did last time and post what stage you are interested in as well as what hardware you have for that stage. I will pay an example above.

TuKr

Stage 1 -
I7 4790k
G3258
(I also a few 478 and 775 chips)

Stage 2 -
FX 8370
(I also have opteron, semprons, and athlons)

Stage 3 -
Anything i can

Stage 4 -
Asus MP 780TI

Stage 5 -
looking to find an AMD Gpu

Last edited:

LRG5

stage #1

stage # 2 AMD FX 9590 W/GTX 750 Ti

stage #3 i7 4790 W/2-GTX 960

stage #4

stage #5 No AMD Gpu

and any stage the team needs

Last edited:

TuKr

Hey Just wanted to fill you guys in, in the past when doing the HWbot prime for the AMD, your scores will get slammed by the amount of cores on the CPU. it all comes down to if the score is totaled as the score/core Example: AMD 8Core @6000 = 750 per core. The last time I submitted it was, so if that is the case the fewer cores the better for this specific sub, if thats how they score the subs.

I hope that makes sense.

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
the fewer cores the better for this specific sub

TuKr!!!! Whaazz Up!? Glad to see you.

Yeah, Plan on me with the Sempy and Athlon hitting that HwBOT prime sub pretty hard.
Otherwise, I plan to sub for every stage. I also seem to have the only AMD gCard: R7 360
So if anyone is planning on acquiring one, it should be different? right?

My sig should show everything I have, but I will post my list anon!

cheers

Evil-Mobo

I have an R9 280X Matrix Platinum. Will be using the wife's PC for sure then maybe mine if it's built in time. The wife's PC should be up for initial power on Tuesday night/Wed morning, waiting on a few parts today and tomorrow.

I have never done anything like this before so will need help, super novice here. These are my second and third builds and I just had too much fun tweaking the first build and got hooked on bench marking. Figured if I'm gonna be setting up the OC's anyways might as well do the comp :) and get some exp with it

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
Stage 1 - I defer this stage to TuKr. He loves XTU.
i74790k
G3258

Stage 2 -
Athlon 64 4450B+ X2
Sempron LE-1250

Stage 3 -
i74790k
G3258
Athlon 64 4450B+ X2
Sempron LE-1250

Stage 4 -
Gtx970
Gtx960

Stage 5-
R7360

This NN is a little more interesting than the last one.

OK kids - I have tentative harware for this list. Next week I should get the mobo for XmasList.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...List-project?p=7891059&viewfull=1#post7891059
I already have everything else...

Now I have TONS of work to do on XmasList and will not rush it,,,
But I will set this up on TheBianch to sub some scores. Just without the gCards probably.
We'll see, as my Predator 240 AIO got recalled, and I was going to get the 360 anyway, which is on the way.
Which I am going to setup for GPU and CPU cooling, but probably won't have the capacity to deal with those two 980 TIs.
So no promises, but expect at least some 6700k subs for the appropriate stages.

Hasta

TuKr

im looking into getting an AMD GPU. just have some misc projects going on right now. Im kinda jealous of that R9 evil. ive been shopping for a R9 3XX. dunno if i should grab a 380, 380X, 390 or a 290. I wish i could get my hands on a fury but i dont wanna spend that much cash.

What up Swarty, Get that XTU trash outta here. lol that bench is the bane of my existence

Evil-Mobo

im looking into getting an AMD GPU. just have some misc projects going on right now. Im kinda jealous of that R9 evil. ive been shopping for a R9 3XX. dunno if i should grab a 380, 380X, 390 or a 290. I wish i could get my hands on a fury but i dont wanna spend that much cash.

What up Swarty, Get that XTU trash outta here. lol that bench is the bane of my existence

I drastically changed my original build which was gonna be two non x fury's....lol....

I got the 280X here in the classies couldn't pass on the price, then my rig will be running SLI 780 Ti's like yours. So when the systems are up I will just let you guys decide which categories I should be in. I have a lot of work ahead and a lot of learning to do quick lol.

TuKr

I Shop at microcenter, They have the sickest warranty. if you buy the 2 year add on, within 2 years you can bring it back and get your full purchase price back, no questions asked. Ive killed countless boards and chips just get a better one. So with that said, my current build in my sig will be rolled out to fresh stock shortly. i will be swapping to 6700k, ASUS M8 formula(waiting for release, see link above), ill probably hold on to my 780s because they look beautiful in the loop and i will never get a deal like that again on waterblocks(the cards are covered under the 2 year incase i kill them), some nice DDR4, more rad and it will all be sitting very nicely in a thermaltake P5.

Evil-Mobo

I Shop at microcenter, They have the sickest warranty. if you buy the 2 year add on, within 2 years you can bring it back and get your full purchase price back, no questions asked. Ive killed countless boards and chips just get a better one. So with that said, my current build in my sig will be rolled out to fresh stock shortly. i will be swapping to 6700k, ASUS M8 formula(waiting for release, see link above), ill probably hold on to my 780s because they look beautiful in the loop and i will never get a deal like that again on waterblocks(the cards are covered under the 2 year incase i kill them), some nice DDR4, more rad and it will all be sitting very nicely in a thermaltake P5.

Sweet I ordered a Core X9 for my build. We have no micro center in my state sadly...... I got both my 780 Ti's from the same person with EK blocks and back plates for what a 980 ti would have cost so I decided to go this route instead and have some SLI fun........ can't wait to see your upgrades.

I had a 6700K ITX build with a 980 Ti a while back it was fun......

TuKr

Sweet I ordered a Core X9 for my build. We have no micro center in my state sadly...... I got both my 780 Ti's from the same person with EK blocks and back plates for what a 980 ti would have cost so I decided to go this route instead and have some SLI fun........ can't wait to see your upgrades.

I had a 6700K ITX build with a 980 Ti a while back it was fun......

from what ive seen, 980 TI's are beast mode. they crush my 780 runs. I ended up getting my water blocks, back plates, and compression fittings for next to nothing, because EK couldnt deliver the product they offered, then when i re did my order they failed again, so to make up for my week of troubles with them, they sent me the blocks for free. 9/10 would recommend and purchase from them again. the cards ran me like 300 each.

Evil-Mobo

from what ive seen, 980 TI's are beast mode. they crush my 780 runs. I ended up getting my water blocks, back plates, and compression fittings for next to nothing, because EK couldnt deliver the product they offered, then when i re did my order they failed again, so to make up for my week of troubles with them, they sent me the blocks for free. 9/10 would recommend and purchase from them again. the cards ran me like 300 each.

I got a great deal for the cards with the EK blocks and backplates.

I have had good exp with EK too, I prefer ordering direct from them myself. This week my cards should be here. :)

My Galax 980 Ti HOF was a beast but I expected more from it. Very picky OC'ing on the memory. I got it when they were first released, just expected 1500mhz_+ stable on air and didn't get it for the premium paid and custom PCB etc.......

Last edited:
OP
Lochekey

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Wow did I have some catching up to do.

Hey Just wanted to fill you guys in, in the past when doing the HWbot prime for the AMD, your scores will get slammed by the amount of cores on the CPU. it all comes down to if the score is totaled as the score/core Example: AMD 8Core @6000 = 750 per core. The last time I submitted it was, so if that is the case the fewer cores the better for this specific sub, if thats how they score the subs.

I hope that makes sense.

TuKR - Thanks for this I have run into this myself in other competitions. I checked for this competition though and the scoring will not be divided by cores. So please feel free to have at it with the 8 core AMD cpu's.

I have asked for some clarification for stage 1 as to whether they are looking for 3 processors from different families or just 3 distinct processors. I will update everyone on this when I get a response.

I will update the first post with what hardware and scores as people let me know what they can do. Please post up your results for each stage and then we can decide which submissions to put in for each stage. I plan to do some testing on my 960 tonight so I will add results of my testing when I am done tonight.

Last edited: