• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Now Paypal wants my SSN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I've had this PP account for eons, recently my cash balance was getting low, so I thought I'd just transfer money from my bank account...like I had done in the past.

They all-of-a-sudden are now requiring my Social Security number, plus two other forms of ID. Really? After all these years they finally thought it would be good to know who I am?

A little bit late doncha think? Well, I don't see the need to give them my SSN, they are not considered a bank. I barely trust Paypal...as if "trust" was actually the right term to apply to

a money changer corporation.

Paypal is convenient for online transactions, but they don't have that warm & fuzzy attitude of looking after[me,my] the account holder's best interests, at least not in ebay transactions.

I'll accept Paypal payments, but since my balance is depleted, I'll be looking more closely at Google Pay.

I actually prefer using my credit card directly, with e-tailers, not sure if ebay sellers can accept credit, unless it's Paypal credit. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ebay sellers can accept Credit cards, but it has to be trough PayPal, you are not required to log in your PayPal account to do so however, also you can just add a credit card or debit card to your PayPal account and use that as funding source for purchases, instead of using PayPal account balance. I would trust anything Google even less than I would trust PayPal, but that's my personal opinion, and I wouldn't trust neither with my ssn. You can try opening another account with PayPal as well, its best done with another bank account number, some banks let you make a bunch if you already have one with them, but that would be last resort if they locked your account or something.

Tread carefully here. Your ether close to or have, or are trying to withdrawal more then 1k In a mouth or are trying to put more then 1k into your account from a bank. PayPal by law requires to have your SSN when doing stuff like that.

But you could have been linked to a banded user or user that's on a watch list. They want you SSN so they know for sure who you are. They will use it against you if you been linked.
If you been linked get ready for PayPal to steel from you and ban your account once you hand over your SSN. I had this happen to me, they took 5k out of my bank to cover possible fees. I ended up being linked to a guy that owed them $15. We both owned the same car at one point and PayPal linked the accounts as if we were the same guy. EBay did the same thing to me.

Luckily PayPal made it right for the most part, I'm still banned on eBay because of this nonsense.

As for taking CC on eBay. You don't need PayPal, you can uses merchant accounts like Authorize.Net.

Last edited:
Wow BD, some bizarre experience, I think I came across something similar that someone had mentioned on the net. All I want to do is just drop a couple hundred bucks on my account, so I can buy miscellaneous stuff. I could do some more auctions to replenish my funds, but most of what I have left to sell

is borderline in value, and most people wouldn't want to pay shipping, so I'd net a fraction of the final value, once everything is done.

Wow BD, some bizarre experience, I think I came across something similar that someone had mentioned on the net. All I want to do is just drop a couple hundred bucks on my account, so I can buy miscellaneous stuff. I could do some more auctions to replenish my funds, but most of what I have left to sell

is borderline in value, and most people wouldn't want to pay shipping, so I'd net a fraction of the final value, once everything is done.

You don't need to put money in your account to buy something if you have a card or bank linked to the account. PayPal will withdrawal the funds from the payment source when you go to buy it. Its when you want to withdrawal money from your bank and hold it in your paypal account that they need a SSN. It sounds dumb as you can just as easily have the same account of money in your account from selling stuff without a ssn.

You don't need to put money in your account to buy something if you have a card or bank linked to the account.

Hmmm, well then I wonder why PP is hitting me up for my SSN and other info. I do have a bank account and credit card "on file" with PP, but haven't given them permission to automatically debit either one to pay for a purchase.

So, PP would tap my bank or credit for a purchase, but get picky and require my SSN to transfer money...?

More or less, its some money laundering law they have to go by.

If I recall they only need your ssn if you spend or withdrawal more then 1k in a month, your trying to put money in your account from a bank, your opening a credit line with paypal or they want proof of who you are as you been linked to anther user or are seen as a high risk user.
The last two are tricky, you can get link from just about anything you can think of, the wifi at the fast food place, going to the same college as anther user, buying a used phone from anther user or moving to a new address that was used by anther PayPal user. And some of the most insane things can make you a high risk user, like buying or selling high end brand name items on ebay, getting scammed, selling collectibles or not uploading tracking data to PayPal when selling stuff.

Did they send you an email about why they want your SNN? Has your account been limited? If you not limited its unlikely you been linked or flagged as a high risk user and they just need your SSN your legal reasons.

Last edited:
Paypal sent an e-mail to view a message in my account inbox. just said my account is functional in all aspect except for money transfers. ??? There's only 37 cents in the account, maybe I'll do an ebay transaction that exceeds that amount, just to see what happens.

Edit: Oh I see, much ado about nothing, on my part. Right after I clicked "buy" on an item, my options were shown clearly, including the Paypal balance.

Well, the transfer thing is a moot issue, as long as a bank or credit debit is going to work, then I'm good with that.

Last edited:
I hate to ask this, but somebody has to. You went to PP by opening a browser window and logging in to your account, right? You didn't click on an email link?

I hate to ask this, but somebody has to. You went to PP by opening a browser window and logging in to your account, right? You didn't click on an email link?

Yes, logged in to my account / no, didn't click an email link.

Speaking of emails, I received another today:

Dear ihrsetrdr

We emailed you a little while ago to ask for your help resolving an issue
with your account.

What's the problem?

Before we can offer you certain products and services, federal regulations
require that we collect specific information to verify your identity. This
information includes your name, address, date of birth, and National Tax ID
or Social Security Number. We haven't been able to verify your identity
using the information you provided, so we need some additional
documentation from you.

Are they for real, coming off with "What's the problem?" No problem here, I'm not giving Paypal my SS #, What federal regulations? Usually parties making such requests based on 'federal regulations' will state clearly which regulations are requiring the collection of additional personal information.

When you go to PP's site and log in, does this silliness continue? That really doesn't look legit.

edit: Have you tried logging in from another computer?

Last edited:
When you go to PP's site and log in, does this silliness continue? That really doesn't look legit.

edit: Have you tried logging in from another computer?

That email came to my gmail account. I don't have Paypal in my browser bookmarks so I just go there from google search. I log-in on my account and always check to see:

View attachment 199143

So no spoofed websites or shenanigans with a 'jacked browser or OS compromise.

I seen that email before. As sketchy as it seem its one PayPal will send out.
Go to the resolution center in PayPal, that should give you more detail on why they want your info.

I have no idea why you insist on transferring cash into your PayPal account instead of just setting it up to use a credit card. That way you get the convenience of using PayPal, along with the extra protection and points/cash back from your credit card. I ONLY transfer cash OUT of PayPal into my bank account pay off the credit card bills - never the other way. There's no reason for an adult with credit to do otherwise.

I have no idea why you insist on transferring cash into your PayPal account instead of just setting it up to use a credit card. That way you get the convenience of using PayPal, along with the extra protection and points/cash back from your credit card. I ONLY transfer cash OUT of PayPal into my bank account pay off the credit card bills - never the other way. There's no reason for an adult with credit to do otherwise.

See post #2,:

Ebay sellers can accept Credit cards, but it has to be trough PayPal, you are not required to log in your PayPal account to do so however, also you can just add a credit card or debit card to your PayPal account and use that as funding source for purchases, instead of using PayPal account balance. I would trust anything Google even less than I would trust PayPal, but that's my personal opinion, and I wouldn't trust neither with my ssn. You can try opening another account with PayPal as well, its best done with another bank account number, some banks let you make a bunch if you already have one with them, but that would be last resort if they locked your account or something.

CharlieCS got me dialed in on that. Worked well recently. PP cash balance is 37 cents, so for the purchase I made I was presented with the choice of my linked CC or bank account.

Back