• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NT Network Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ace-a-Rue

I am trying to help a very small manufacturing company to upgrade their server which has 10 desktop stations. They are strapped at the moment for cash and really do not want to hire a professional installer. This server will not access the Internet or anything like that.

I have an intel P4 server board (S845WD1-E) w/2.0G cpu and 1G of ECC unbuffered memory. I am about to make the switch out from the old server and install the new server using NT SP6a OS. Everyone accesses the server to run several server based software like Solomon and custom Accounts receivable and Sales order/inventory (TechWare) using Foxpro language. These 2 software packages are set up in different partitions (F: & J: ) on a mirror Promise Raid controller. The F and J drives/partitions are tape back up on a Seagate Tape drive.

I am green behind the ears at setting up a NT server system with 10 desktop stations. I have a baby network between my 2 computers (at home), which is using WinXP. I've run NT setup to practice just the very basic install, but I am not sure how to handle the install of the Network driver and then getting all 10 Desktops to be recognized. I know there is a point it asks during the NT install to identify the Network card via a floppy with the drivers on it. But it also asks how many clients or something like that will be attached and therefore, I am Just a little unsure about it.

When I get ready to do this, I will try to do it over the weekend so to avoid excessive downtime for the Desktop stations.

Can anyone help me or point to an on-line guide that will explain the rudimentary steps to do a NT install with multiple Desktop stations? Maybe I am making this sound more difficult than it is really. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. All the Desktop stations are either using 95/98 with FAT32. So, do I install NT using FAT32 or does it matter with the NT operating system? I know Win 95 and 98 cannot see NTFS. Do I do the F & J drives/partitions in FAT32 and then the NT OS in NTFS?

FlypSyde

I'd be very leery of doing this if you don't have the right background or support to do this right. Setting up a proper NT or 2000 Domain based network is a lot different than setting up a couple of Win95/98/NT/2K/XP computers in a workgroup. You might check out Microsoft Technet to find some info on setting up NT Server.

OP
Ace-a-Rue

Ace-a-Rue

Great link, thanks so much!

I am teetering on not doing it but as a new experience, I am going thru the steps so I can become more familiar with the Networking environemnt.