• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NTFS aware repair image?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I'm trying to fix an older laptop running XP with a 32bit CPU. The disk filled up and I need to clear some space and the checkdisk it.

The HD is not SATA. The XP install disk I tried to use won't let me to the repair console without first formatting the partition, which is kind of counter productive.

Basically, I'd like to find a 32 bit ISO that can edit, and repair an NTFS filesystem.

Any suggestions? I can run it either USB or optical on the laptop.

Thanks!

What i would do...

Ubuntu live flash drive. move some of the files over to another drive and then run your chkdsk.

download ubuntu.
download rufus.
use rufus to burn the ubuntu iso to a flash drive.
reboot to ubuntu on the flash drive and remove stuff till the xp disk will boot.

Just fyi, I tried gparted and it wouldn't load all the way. A 32 bit version of Ubuntu Mate did work. I got the data off. Since I posted my original question we decided to get rid of the laptop, which was used to power a powerpoint display. We're switching to chromecast units and google drive for source of the slideshow, so I don't need to actually repair it. Off to recycle.

Pulling the hdd and using for target practice? If not, boot to Ubuntu live and overwrite drive with zeros using the terminal command:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[COLOR="#FFFF00"]sdx[/COLOR] bs=1M
Replace "sdx" with the correct designation for that drive. You can check using
Code:
fdisk -l

Note: might have to add "sudo" to the beginning above terminal operations.

Work policy is to open the drives, remove disks and sand the disk faces.

Work policy is to open the drives, remove disks and sand the disk faces.

depeds on what i get lol

2.5 drives i just slam on the ground, ceramics just shatters into millions of parts

3.5 drives i pull the platters and we run them through one of our shredders. it has some sort of satisfaction i do say.

I just pound a large concrete nail right through the drive case where the platters will be. Then put the drive in a gutter and fold it over with a large hammer.

What? Nobody uses super strong magnets anymore? I'd think that would work quite well myself. You can get ones with 100's of lbs of pull but even 30 or so should work well.

What did we win? :clap:

Introspective Shame - The board game!

---

I love how this thread went from trying to recover data from a random winXP laptop with a PATA hard drive to an image of a naked SSD at the gun range :beer:

It would be much better if you use Pop! OS to read the NTFS filesystem and altering the data on the disk.
You could use balena Etcher to etch the image on a USB drive. Rufus is not reliable enough (from my experience)
But still, you would need a password to access the XP drive if you used a password to lock the contents on the drive.

If Pop! OS does not help you then try any penetration testing Linux OS.

Back