• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Number of radiators

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demon of Elru

Registered
I am considering switching my case from Xigmatek Elysium (2010) to the Pahnteks Primo. I require 5.25 bays as I use a blu ray and have exyra USB and sd card readers in the front bays so the peimo seems like a fine "upgrade"even if it is 8 years old. I currently have a 360 and 140 radiator attached is this enough or are bigger ones suggested or more?

I upgraded to the 10900X since. I am already cooling the GPU. But just wondering if I am short changing myself.

Edit: I updated my build :)

I've had the Phanteks Enthoo Primo since day one. It's a giant beast of a case. Has served me through 2 upgrades already. Things to consider: It's BIG and heavy. Once watercooling is added, it's twice as heavy. I built a dolly to roll it around so I can work in it. Lifting it full of parts and watercooling is a whole different matter :rofl:

You'll enjoy it as much as I have. Post pics!

I've had the Phanteks Enthoo Primo since day one. It's a giant beast of a case. Has served me through 2 upgrades already. Things to consider: It's BIG and heavy. Once watercooling is added, it's twice as heavy. I built a dolly to roll it around so I can work in it. Lifting it full of parts and watercooling is a whole different matter :rofl:

You'll enjoy it as much as I have. Post pics!
I am used to that lol, my current case is probably over 60lbs and its huge. To me however when it comes to PC cases bigger is better. I like to not only build it but also make use of the expansion bays and headers on the motherboard. Today modern cases barely even come with 1 5.25 bay for an optical drive let alone 5 for added USB gen 2 ports. The headers are on the motherboard to be used :D

There is nothing wrong my current case, its just 11 years old a bit beat up and since its old its watercooling features are not....Modern? My external 140 rad is rigged and I had to cut part of the metal side panel t o get it to fit and it barely fits. Never liked my WC set up. Also my current case has no real spot for the pump and reservoir, I used to have a bay reservoir but it leaked and I never used one again. I had a small $25 res hi-flow acrylic, it was a good small reservoice but again no real place to mount it where it would be easily accessible. The pump I just screw to the bottom. I like how the Phanteks case has things "compartmentalized", such as the Power supply and even SSD mounts! To me that is great no more opening the entire case and removing HDD cages to change an SSD. I was going to install a 420 rad, 140, and a 240 bottom mounted.

Yeah I've always been fond of large cases. Once the case outlives it's usefulness, I move the next bigger case. Last case I had was a Coolermaster Cosmos 1000. It was a freebie and I modded/hack the hell out of it so I mount my Rads, pump and res. It had a 360 rad mounted on the back and I had several spinner drives which I had run out of room for.

The Primo is an excellent case. I have a 480 rad ontop, pump/res combo and plenty of room for another rad. I'll add a 280 on the bottom for when I get a new graphics card, but of course that won't be anytime soon. I was looking into the MountainMods cases, but never got one. I'm happy with the Primo and so far it has served me well. No complaints here.

I love my Primo. I don't use it all the time but keep going back to it as builds allow. Infinite possibilities with that thing for sure. I usually ran a 3x120 on top (push) with a Alphacool Monsta 2x120 (push/pull) in the intake and that cooled a full cpu and gpu loop no sweat so you should be fine.

I'm currently building a dual system with an Enthoo Pro 2 and already like it as much as the Primo, maybe a little better. Its slightly more compact but still offers a ton of choices. The best thing about Phanteks is they include all the pieces and parts needed for just about every type of build versus having to buy extra every time.

So is there a such thing as "too many radiators"? I am considering on the new case a 420 on top move my current 360 to the bottom if I can (or get a 280) and mount my 140 on the rear. Also a side mount possibly but not needed. And does a bigger reservoir mean cooler temps?

Yes. There is a point of diminishing returns. The blocks can only get so much heat out. A 420 and 280/360 is overkill. I personally wouldn't go over that.

A bigger reservoir means more water, but not better cooling. It will just take longer for the loop to saturate... the amount of heat removed does not change.

Yes. There is a point of diminishing returns. The blocks can only get so much heat out. A 420 and 280/360 is overkill. I personally wouldn't go over that.

A bigger reservoir means more water, but not better cooling. It will just take longer for the loop to saturate... the amount of heat removed does not change.
Alright so a 420 and a 360 is too much?

The difference between it and what you have won't be much. At best you can lower fan speeds for more quiet, but ROI on temps won't be much. ;)

I am then wondering if I should just go with a 420 and the 140 I have. I would like to change from the 360 as I feel 140mm rads and fans are simply better for similar cost. Both are HW Labs Black Ice Nemesis rads.

I am then wondering if I should just go with a 420 and the 140 I have. I would like to change from the 360 as I feel 140mm rads and fans are simply better for similar cost. Both are HW Labs Black Ice Nemesis rads.
I wouldn't bother changing. As said above there comes a point where you won't get much more out of it. Granted some of the other pc forms out there will recommend you put as many radiators and fans as you can fit but in reality that does nothing but add cost and look pretty for little change in results. Save your money and stick with what you have.

Alright thanks foe the tip! I can certainly get behind saving myself 200 plus dollars. I would however like new rad fans. Currently have 3 noctua on the 360 and 2 corsair sp140s in push pull on the 140.

I bought the Arctic P12 PWM PST 5 pack & have been very happy with it. Three of them are on my CPU 360 rad, daisy-chained together (that's the PST) & plugged into the CPU Fan header.

Back