• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NV GT240 REVIEWS!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
repackaged is calling the 9800GTX+ a GTS250 (only thing changed here is the name, no die shrinkage)... this is a die shrink of either a 9000 die or GTX die.

after some digging, the GT240 looks more like a die shrunk 9600GSO with 128bit memory path. as it has 8 rop's and 96 shaders. there is also a 8800GSO/(early) 9600GSO with 192bit 12 ROP and 96 shaders. die shrunk 9600GSO 128bit it is then?

Old Thrashbarg

after some digging, the GT240 looks more like a die shrunk 9600GSO with 128bit memory path.

Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it, although the GDDR5 is worth mentioning as well, since that puts it equivalent in memory bandwidth to a 256-bit GDDR3 card.

The way I see it, the 240 would be an excellent $60 card, and an OK $70 card. At the $100 price point, though, it's going up against the 4770 and 9800GT, which makes it a pretty hard sell.

ratbuddy

Holy crap, I can't get past the first page of the Legit Reviews 'review.'

It's written like an ad.

LR said:
How many times have you thought to yourself, "I would really like to boost my graphics performance, but I don't want to bust my bank account?" Today is the day that you can make this dream a reality.

LR said:
The GeForce GT 240 is NVIDIA’s latest performance-class GPU that enables the mainstream PC to become vastly more functional and enjoyable.

Performance class?? Right.

LR said:
The concept of Power Gaming is more than just high performance graphics. Gamers using a GeForce GT 240 can enjoy the latest games with PhysX and 3D Vision for a truly immersive gaming experience.

3d Vision? Double-right. My GTX 280 could barely handle 3d Vision at 1680x1050. What's this thing going to do??

I agree with Thrashbarg, great $60 card, horrible $100 card. If it was $50-$60, I can see grabbing one for PhysX use, sort of. Are there even any good games that use it?

Zap

This is a repackaged 8000 or 9000 series GPU again I'm guessing?

No, the rebrands have same/similar Nvidia part numbers, such as G92 (used in 8800 GT, 8800 GTS 512MB, 9800 GT, 8800 GS, 9600 GSO, 9800 GTX/GTX+, GTS 250). This one is labeled GT215. It can support GDDR5, is DX 10.1 and built on 40nm process. Oh yeah, and now SPDIF passthrough no longer needed.

EDIT: Wow, very high on the performance/watt chart. I think this will be a popular card as an upgrade for budget big box systems (Dell/HP/etc.) that typically still has a PCIe x16 slot, but only 300W or lesser PSU. The only other alternatives would be the "low power" versions of the 9600 GT and 9800 GT, and those still draw at least 15W more pure +12v power.

Last edited:
OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
rat,
if you check out the LR forums, that author took a lot of heat over that. as the title is review, when it should have been preview... simply because he had no GT240 on hand to test. the only thing he wrote was the first paragraph or first page and wrote the last page about thoughts. from was posted the rest of the article is all "media briefing" info that NV gives out. all the numbers were generated by NV, its more of a sellers pamphlet then anything, IMO. though one of the editors did make some changes to that article, it isnt something i would have posted as a review. forgive for getting trigger happy about seeing what was called a review. later i read them all and found the LR one to be the most disappointing.

i did look on newegg, the cheapest GT240 is $89.99, would like to see it lower. esp when you look at its performance, it does look like NV is now netting more $$ per chip since the 40nm die shrink.

Last edited:

ratbuddy

rat,
if you check out the LR forums, that author took a lot of heat over that. as the title is review, when it should have been preview... simply because he had no GT240 on hand to test. the only thing he wrote was the first paragraph or first page and wrote the last page about thoughts. from was posted the rest of the article is all "media briefing" info that NV gives out. all the numbers were generated by NV, its more of a sellers pamphlet then anything, IMO. though one of the editors did make some changes to that article, it isnt something i would have posted as a review. forgive for getting trigger happy about seeing what was called a review. later i read them all and found the LR one to be the most disappointing.

I see that now, and I also see they've changed the title of the article to say 'preview.'

Should just say 'hopelessly optimistic press release' because that card, as priced, is a total dog.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Yeah the ONLY place this thing has any kind of advantage is in performance/watt. Otherwise it performs like a 9600GT?!? That's horribly lame...come on NV. I've been holding out on thinking of a new midrange graphics card to see what NV would have but releasing a DX10.1 part at this point that performs like a 2+ year old card just tells me they aren't going to be moving Fermi architecture down market any time soon. I know it's been out for longer as an OEM card but it should have stayed there. I'm upset now when I could have gotten HD5700 series for a bit less shortly after their launch, versus now when they've gone up a bit.

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
the other thing i noticed, is no SLI!!! wth! even the 5750 can do CF so can the older 4770! JUST WOW, im in total shock....

jobrien2001

the other thing i noticed, is no SLI!!! wth! even the 5750 can do CF so can the older 4770! JUST WOW, im in total shock....
Im not, NVIDIA has been fkign up left and right for a little while now. I only hope they get their stuff right with the GT300 or else ATI will have a monopoly and current prices wont go down.

I really want to get a DX11 card soon but at those prices...meh.