• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NV30 - The specs and pics - FINALLY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SPEED VS QUALITY

Speed and quality have always been a big decision ever
since vid card makers started putting user options in the drivers. Remember when 32 bit color was offered, people argued that it wasn't worth it, same with fsaa, no one saw the point in using it, but nowadays its hard to go without these things. I'm glad they are concentrating on visual quality, I'm tired of the same old blocky non realistic looking characters in games. Time will always yield performance because of faster components being invented but quality requires research and lots of design to improve it. Kudos to Nvidia no matter how the geforceFX performs, either way it WILL be good enough and if its X times faster than X card is really not that important now is it? This isn't a race car its a computer device!

Impressive, not astonishing. I will probably wait for the dust to settle late this spring to see who's left standing ;).

The problem with saying "look at that image quality" is they are all nvidia demos! they are designed to make it look great. You have to wait and see how it looks on games... ATi has always had the superior image quality, and probably always will.... nvidia just goes after the "Framerate is life" people... not the people that like the eye candy. It's the same as the people that look at speakers and go "Look how big they are, and how loud they are!" instead of "listen to the imaging those speakers have, and their response to low and high frequencies are amazing"

anyway... from reading what I have read ATi made a good decision to skip the die shrinking until a newer generation. it gives them time to work on the product while still selling a competative product. ATi is most like working on the die shrink right now, I I bet they will be at .13 by summer 2003.

Once again some of you guys are only reading what you want to see, and skipping over the good points to a card that isn't even out yet. I highly doubt Nvidia will release a product that doesn't top the 9700.

I'm sure the FX will top the 9700. But I think we'll see something like a 400+/400+ DDRII 0.13 R350 next spring/summer that'll top the FX. ATI already has a ES 0.15 DDRII card.

If the FX is 20% percent faster then a 9700 at default clocks (500/500 vs 325/325), the 9700 is still nearly 30% faster clock for clock. If ATI were to release a 500/500 R350...

- JW

Last edited:
I'm going to see if I can get a $500 version for $400, then I will buy.

Must mention one thing...the card isn't out yet. It's the same as the last few months. Your basing its performance on paper. You dont know WHAT it will do until its out, or until some non-nvidia benches come out.

Whats worse is your comparing it to another card that is even further off. I'm sure ATi will have a response to the nv30, and I'm sure it will be just as good, if not better. That's the way it goes. Can't stay top of the line for very long in this buisness.

Well, regardless of whether or not the NV30 really owns the 9700, ATI has still made a tremendous leap... they've closed a lot of the gap between themselves and NVidia in the last year, and I personally hope they overtake them (competition is good!). Now if only ATI could work out their driver issues...

FX is the crappiest name in the world i don't even care about the specs if they call it FX i'm not buying it, they might as well call it GeForceGhey

Johnny Knoxville said:
FX is the crappiest name in the world i don't even care about the specs if they call it FX i'm not buying it, they might as well call it GeForceGhey

I don't know about anyone else, but I buy my cards based on price to performance ratio. Not by what the card's heatsink looks like, or the colour of the PCB.

grunjee exactly my thoughts :)

Geforce FX is just too crappy of a name for a kick *** product :mad:

anyways as far as the image quality is concerned its pretty good but we do have to keep in mind that these are from nvidia demo which are made to be look good for obvious reasons, the real test would be when people have the product in hand and there is some real life testing, no i am not going to jump to conclusion coz some xyz website gives the product good marks, i rather wait and hear from the people on this forum

And besides i just got myself a ti4200 so i would be waiting until geforce FX 2 (or what ever new ghay name they give it) comes out before i upgrade :)

I really don't like the new name either, and I don't think Nvidia did as well as they could have on this card. I guess you could say I'm dissapointed with Nvidia on this card....GO ATI!

No matter what side of the fence you sit on, one thing is for sure, competition is a good thing in the industry. These guys dont want to be outdone by the other guy, and that means they try just a little bit harder. That may be why nvidia seemed kind of slow to the punch with the "FX" (it is very gay). I think this upcoming year could be one of the best for us gamers and upgraders, that is as long as you dont mind spending $$$$$$

competetion is no doubt good, we have to wait and see how much this new card performs, frankly speaking i am not that much happy with what NV30 turned out to be, why? i have no idea (might be i am majorly turned down by the ghay name) but still i have my fingers crossed and waiting for some REAL comparisons

Come on man, whats in a name? I agree, it is gay, but just think if you get it it is easier to type, you can get rid of that aopen Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128 MB etc. etc.

Just Geforce FX Gay

lol

Geforce FX 500 blah blah

Geforce FX 700 blah blah

Geforce FX 300 blah blah

and than

Geforce FX 2 700 blah blah

hey if you ask me its gonna be never ending story as far as being easy to type is concerned :)

I cant wait to see what is in that temperature settings section in the new control panel. OH MY, here I come.

quegyboe said:
I guess you could say I'm dissapointed with Nvidia on this card....GO ATI!
LOL...at least let the card hit the shelves and see what it's capable of before you vanish the name Nvidia from your vocabulary ;) ...As far as the name goes I think Nvidia tried to cover there foot steps with the FX because they knew people would see similarities in the voodoo cards and they didn't want to look like they were trying to hide it. Which in my opinion is a good call considering that's exactly what would have happened.

Ya I can understand that, but Geforce 5 just "flows" alot better.
I really dont think they could care less about what people thought. Just because they own the technology doesnt mean they have to admit to it in a name. I dont see chevy giving credit to toyota for they're prism ( which is exactly what it is). But then again you may have it right.

LOL dont we have anything better to do than ***** and pick about a name?

Oh I will buy the product once it hits store shelves, I dont care who makes the product though, I have a 9700 on the way. I am just glad to see progress.

Back